PDA

View Full Version : Big Tires on 6" Wheels

jiott
05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
I am thinking about putting bigger tires on my standard SS7 Kitfox 6" wheels. These wheels that came with the kit are split-two halves bolted together, and they work fine with tube type tires. If I go with the big 26" Airstreak tundra tires or maybe the sort of big 8.50 x 6 tires, will they work on my split rims? These big tires are tubeless I believe so how will they hold air with my split wheel? There is no o-ring to seal the split joint. Also will a tubeless type valve stem work in these rims?

What am I missing here? The factory told me it would be no problem switching to tundra tires later on.

You guys running the Nanco tires must have had to buy new 8" wheels, or did Kitfoxes use to come with 8" tubeless type wheels?

Jim

Dave F
05-03-2012, 06:10 PM
older kitfox came with 8 " wheels yes and the light ones were from 400 to 600 lbs

as they got heavier and heaver they need a better tire ..........
hence the 6 " and those expensive Alaskan tires

kitfoxnick
05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
The airstreaks are self contained and need to be installed on split rim. The valve stem comes thru the sidewall. This allows the tire to rotate on the rim without shearing a valve stem. I don't know how wide the rim needs to be for the airstreak, give Bill Duncan or Wup a call the'll know.

herman pahls
05-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Bushwheels have a built in tube and the only way you can install them is with a split wheel.
I road race a formula car that has 3 piece wheels. The seam down the middle gets a non hardening sealer with perfect results on tubeless tires.
Placing the sealer between the wheel halfs is not necessary before bolting together and creates more clean up work when the wheels do get separated.

jiott
05-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Sounds like I am good to go with Airstreaks on my split rims. They must be built like a heavy duty tube, so no air has to be sealed by a bead against a rim. So there must not be any way to get access to the inside of the tire. If you get a puncture how do you patch it? Do you patch the exterior? What holds the tire tight to the rim so it doesn't rotate on the rim, especially at the very low air pressures that are used?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but this is all new to me.

Jim

Monocock
05-04-2012, 01:34 AM
No question is dumb if you don't know the answer. I'm reading with interest too. (but then again I am a bit dum....!). :D

Av8r3400
05-04-2012, 05:37 AM
I am running aero classic 21-8.00-6 tires on my Grove wheels. They are about the same size as the old atv tires I had on my bungee gear and about the same weight. With tubes I have less than $250 in the pair and will last far longer.

WWhunter
05-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Think of the AkBushwheels as a big doughnut. What is basically done is a piece of rubber placed into the area where a tube normally goes through. It is fused from the bead edge to bead edge making the tire 'self-contained' ie. tubeless. As Nick states, the valve stem is then place on the edge of the tire close to the rim. It is recessed to protect it somewhat and pretty much flush with the tires sidewall. I've got a set of the 26" AkBushwheel Airstreaks that I am thinking of selling and then moving up to the 29". I doubt they have 20 landings on them, but will say once you have landed with the bushwheels you will never go back to regular tires if you fly in rough terrain.

kitfoxnick
05-05-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm in the same boat as Keith. I got a great deal on a brand new set of 26" airstreak but now I wish I had 29's. Never heard someone say i wish I had smaller bushwheels.

jiott
05-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Does Airstreak, or anyone else, make a 21" bushwheel that is built like the bigger 26" and 29" tires? A 21" that will go on my 6" split Grove wheels and not need a tube?

Jim

WWhunter
05-05-2012, 02:57 PM
I know they make a big O-ring that goes into the split part of the rim to be able to use a tubeless tire. And yes, someone does make a smaller 'bush' type tire. Just can't think of the name right now. Maybe Nick can respond. I think he had a set on his plane when he took me for a ride. They are by no means in the same league as the AkBushWheels but sufficient for light bush flying.
Keith

kitfoxnick
05-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Nanco is the tire your refering to. They fit on the original 8" douglas atv wheel. These are 2 ply atv slicks and can be had for under $100. The nancos are a great tire for the money. I ran nancos for the last 3 years and was able to keep up with alot of bigger tired guys. However they dont compare to the the bushwheels.

jiott
05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
So nobody makes a tire similar in size to the Nanco that will go on my 6" Grove split rims? For my skill level right now "light bush flying" is all I need.

Jim

Av8r3400
05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
jiott - the tires on my plane are 21" in diameter, the same as the atv tires, and are designed for 6" split rims. At about $125 each with tubes they are 1/10 the cost of the Bushwheel options.

I got mine through Airdale (http://airdale.com/), a dealer for these.

jtpitkin06
05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Desser Aircraft Tires

21/800x6 4 ply $99

http://www.desser.com/store/products/21%7B47%7D800%252d6-4-PLY-TUBELESS-LIGHT-SPORT-TUNDRA-AIRCRAFT-TIRE.html

Av8r3400
05-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Mine are "Aero Classics" but are the same exact thing.

WWhunter
05-07-2012, 05:28 AM
Well, I guess you could get a set of the Goodyear 26" 'Blimp' tire. They are a smidgen smaller that the 26" AkBushwheel but hell stout. Doubt you would ever wear a set out on a Kitfox.
Could probably run them without air in a Kitfox! They are not cheap but sure are cheaper than BW's. I think I paid $1k for mine. I had a set on my Champ before putting the Airstreaks on it. Only reason I changed is the GY's were not legal and the only legal option I had was the Bushwheels. Lots of guys used to have them on Super Cubs before the AkBushwheel became popular.

kitfoxnick
05-07-2012, 06:58 AM
Size is only one aspect. The nancos I would run as low as 4 or 5lbs. The bushwheels I'm running at 3lbs you can absorb a lot of roughness at those pressures. Having low pressure does add to the ground roll.

jiott
05-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the good info.

Av8r3400- So you put tubes in the Aero Classics 21x8x6 (the label says tubeless) I assume because of the split wheel?

When you have tubes in these tires and run them at a low pressure, say about 5 psi, do you have any problems with the tire slipping on the rim and tearing off the valve stem? I would sure hate to have that happen out in the boonies-with no way to patch or fix it. Carry an extra tube I guess.

Jim

Av8r3400
05-08-2012, 04:34 AM
I do run standard tubes. Normally I don't go much less than 10 psi. I don't have the need. Most of my off field work is on turf. Sometimes soft or wet but no rock bars or the like.

These tires work great for that. Plus I built my skis to fit them. If you want to run lower pressure you can always seal the rims and Ron tubeless.

dholly
05-21-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm putting a pair of 21/800x6 Dessers on my 4-1200. I have Matco W62 wheels with wheel covers. All the tubes (for experimental, not certified) seem to have a 90 degree valve stem either too short to go thru cover or too long to cover up. I'd prefer not to put holes in the covers. Anyone know of a source for an appropriately sized tube w/ a straight stem that won't break the bank? thnx

[edit] I called Matco to get the scoop on valve stems for this wheel. The stem exits the face of the wheel which requires a 90 degree stem. Going to try Desser's recommended tube (TR-87 SHORT 90 DEGREE VALVE SKU: TU 700/800-6 GU) and hope the exposed stem is less than 3/4" out. Will report when rec'd.