PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 396 Update

DanB
04-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Yesterday I pulled the 396 out of the plane, brought it home and ran an update on it. I think the last one was done 4 years ago and I know the Phx airspace was out of date (Phx airspace was changed about 2 years ago). I could tell it had missed severl updates when I went to the page as the GPS was showing version 4.3 and when I finished I had version 5.2 or 3...cant remember. But when finished it said update completed.

I pulled the current terminal map out to check the airspace changes and the GPS still did not jive with the terminal map. The 396 now powers up indicating the updated 5.2 ...just didn't seem to change the airspace. Has anyone been through this or did I miss a step?
Dan

Pilot4Life
04-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Dan,
It used to be that, on a map, it was somewhat "publisher's preference"...i.e. color variation...however, blue was blue, red was red, etc. The GPS location of Airspace Boundries, Towers, etc. should be the most accurate...while the "printers preference" maps may not be "To Scale". I've updated 12 Garmin 496s, 12 296s, as well as 4 696s and found, even in those, to have some minor differences. I'm not sure what your critical areas are...perhaps you could elaborate? I would trust the GPS, if it's uncorruptible data downloaded from the publisher, Garmin in this case. Hope this helps...

BTW...I am also a stickler on accuracy...hence my quote in the signature block.

Tom Waid
04-28-2012, 01:09 PM
If all you did was update the software then you must also download the latest map database. Garmin seems to go out of their way to make the database page hard to find.

Try This! (https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/portables/#dvc162519Overview) (I hope it works.)

DanB
04-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Chris, thanks for the quick come-back. The Class B boundries and shelf elevations were my focus as this is where the changes were made for PHX a couple years back. These things did not change with the up-date. I always have the map right there, but it would be nice to have them coordinated.

DanB
04-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Tom, Thanks as I bet this may be the issue. I knew there had to be another chapter to the book.
Appreciate it and will check it out,
Dan

Dorsal
04-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Unit updates are free, database updates are frequently not.

jrevens
04-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Most of the replies are correct, Dan. You simply updated your "firmware", or operating system - that doesn't cost you anything. The navigation database updates are available on something like a 28 day cycle and cost $49.95 (last time I looked).

jtpitkin06
04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
If you still have trouble with your Class B map after updating the navdata be sure to give Garmin a call. They are very heloful.

Software and firmware are free. New version 5.4 effective 4/29

Navdata one time $49.95 One year $295.00 every 28 days
Obstacle one time $49.95 One year $295.00
Terrain one time $150 seldom updated. Mountains don't move too much so they don't do it every year.

just a heads up... if you download the terrain it takes a while. It is the entire western hemisphere. It took about an hour the last time I updated terrain but, hey, Now I'll feel safe flying into La Paz and Cuzco.

JP

DanB
04-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks gents, that helps a bunch. I knew no fee was too good to be true ;)

Had another first today as I broke the umbilical chord and left the safety of the field. Feels good to now travel to destinations (FAA limited) but much better than doing the racetrack! :D
Cheers

SkySteve
04-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Way to go Dan! Enjoy.

DesertFox4
04-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Had another first today as I broke the umbilical chord and left the safety of the field.

Your experimental universe expanded exponentially today. :D:D;)