PDA

View Full Version : Landing gear safetu cable

Dravenelle
04-27-2012, 04:20 AM
Hi

My question is,,how long the safety landing gear cable loop (steel cable)can have for great operation (bungee gear)

Dave

HighWing
04-27-2012, 10:40 AM
I wish I could give a definitive answer but there have been several instances in the past when a hard landing resulted in damage to the Bungee bulkhead from too short cables. I know of of some who cut them out after the reports. A bit too long seems to be better than a bit too short short.
LOWELL

Dave F
04-28-2012, 04:10 AM
Here is a video on Bungee install.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_kEZnXDgYM

I could measure how big the loop is hanging below the gear if you like;

I have 4 Kitfox here right now to look at.

What does the manual say? 2 to 3 " I would guess.

I would never not have them in place........... If a bungeee fails you gonna pay the price $$$$

If you are landing hard enough to do damage when the safety cable tightens to the limit and you bend your crossmember --well you had better do some basic flight training.

Enjoy the movie.

Dravenelle
04-28-2012, 04:51 AM
That's right Dave

HighWing
04-28-2012, 05:52 AM
I learned a long time ago not to argue with Dave. What I posted are veritable facts. Damage to the bulkhead on enough Kitfoxes to prompt guys to take some action. My choice was to go with Hammerhead gear. Welding in a new bulkhead was just not a viable choice. My advice still stands - a bit too long is better than too short. Just go with your best judgement and live with the consequences. By the way, can anyone document broken Bungee damage and $$$$ equalling a broken bulkhead.
Lowell

t j
04-28-2012, 07:17 AM
The proper length for the cables is so that there is 4-1/2 to 5 inches of travel available at the ends of the landing gear shock cord arms.

Attached is a link to service letter #48 about the landing gear that shows an optional placement of the limit cables.

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/support/service_letters/sl48.htm

Jpeg of the optional cable placement mentioned in the service letter.