PDA

View Full Version : WTB Airmaster

USAFA68
04-22-2012, 09:14 AM
I would like to buy an Airmaster prop set-up for my Kitfox. It is a Series 5 Vixen (Trigear) running a Jabiru 3300 6 cylinder engine that I have the LCH (Liquid Cooled Heads) set-up for but have not installed yet. Additionally, I have the Rotec TBI (Throttle Body Injector) set-up for it but it also has not been installed yet.

Gary

War Eagle
04-22-2012, 07:09 PM
I haven't heard of anyone that has bought an Airmaster that ever wanted to get rid of it.

Have you contacted Airmaster directly? If you need a contact name let me know and I can provide it to you.

They are a little pricey because they are made in New Zealand and the US dollar is very weak so we take a hit on the price.

They are a great CS prop though and really work well on the kitfox.

SSFoxBuilder
07-14-2012, 03:03 PM
John,
I we have been considering using the 914/Airmaster combo on our SS7. Just curious how you are liking that setup? Have you encountered any unforeseen issues, relating to powerplant/prop? Is the electric prop motor able to keep up with the quick 914?
Thank you!
Dustin

War Eagle
07-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Hello Dustin,

It would probably be good to talk one on one as I could answer more specific questions about the operating characteristics and the cost as well as the performance. But I can tell you in short order that I really like the combination.

I haven't yet come across any other kitfox setup (engine/prop) that will beat it in shear performance. I can see 1800 fpm climb about any day of the week.

The prop is CS and is controlled by computer or by manual controll if you prefer. Never had a hiccup of any kind in the prop. It maximizes the engine capability for what ever mode of flying you are in. The electronics have no difficulty in keeping up with the engine or your needs or desire for adjustment. The movement is not instananeous but is very smooth. It is not jerky in anyway. I have not found any issue related to the control speed of the prop adjustments.

I used the warp drive blades as that was the only option offered when I purchased my setup. I understand today there maybe other blade options available but I can't personally speak about them. Todays Airmaster models also offer a beta option if you fly with floats.

My plane is setup in the tricycle configuration and I use the taper tip (w/ nickle leading edge) and the diameter of the prop is 72inches. The 72 inch warp drive blades are actually cut off somewhere from 1-2 inches their normal length to fit the Airmaster hub. But the finished diameter of the set up is still at 72 inches in diameter.

The engine is more complex because of the turbo and its assorted controls. You will be monitoring additional parameters over and above the 912 or 912s engines.

Heat is a big enemy. The engine is a furnace so you need to be meticulous about your air and water cooling system. You will probably be required to pull back on the throttle at times because you see the oil temps or coolant temps rising on a hot day, especially if you are always in the habit of pushing things. I haven't been hurt by having to throttle back at times but it does happen. I run the Evans coolant and I run a synthetic oil so as to give myself as much margin as possible. I would still like to make some improvements in the oil cooler setup because I can see my oil temp climb to 240-245 and then I have to throttle back a little to keep if from climbing on a hot OAT day.

I run an aluminum radiator that has double rows of 1 inch tubes as compared to the stock radiator that came with my kit that had 3 rows of 3/8 inch tubes. So with my bigger radiator and the Evans product I see 245-250 CHT on hot OAT days but that doesn't cause me any concern because Evans is good for something like 275. I have not had to throttle back due to CHTs.

The 914 is fast off the deck and your cruise speed will be up because you have full power (100hp) to somewhere about 16,000 feet. Now I haven't flown my plane at 16,000 feet but the specs say it will cruise at 150 mph at that altitude. Oxygen will be needed for the pilot of course. Service ceiling is 25000. I can burn fuel at 8 + gal when I pour the coal to it or I can throttle back to 4 gal and fly slow with the other kitfoxes.

The engine prop combination is a bit spendy but if performance is what you are looking for then this combination will provide it for you.

Pingert
10-30-2012, 07:46 PM
I have 70 hour trouble free on 914 turbo with airmaster prop with reverse for floats works great have been landing on sand bars etc great response when I hit the throttle but my engine is a bit more Hp its running about 140 hp on take off w/ turbo .the engine was 100 hp new an cut the pistons down 60 thousand and turbo cruse about 125 mph but I have 29inch tundra tires have installed Vgs and lowered my stall to 38mph my air strip is only 450 feet ,all I can say is the prop and motor are a perfect match.
Rick