PDA

View Full Version : Nemacolin PA

Dorsal
04-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Had a great trip from central Mass to SW PA landing at Nemacolin resort. The trip out had us skirting big green blobs on the weather map and running right along the shorelines of CT. We left on a Sunday afternoon and stayed in Harrisburg PA that night (CXY airport and holiday Inn, simple and effective). Departed the next morning at sun-up trying to beat the predicted winds which worked for a while but the last 30 minutes we had 40 - 55 mph head winds which over the rolling hills of the area made for a dynamic ride. Fortunately the surface winds were more manageable as we danced the plane onto the nice long runway (almost 4000 ft).
As for the resort we had a blast, mountain biking, mini-golf (which would be a crime for a serious golfer as they appear to have amazing real courses), trap shooting, zip lining and basic messing about. They also have lions, tigers and bears as well as several other cool animals on site. I feel obliged to point out the resort is best for those who feel frustrated because their wallet is to heavy as it will be significantly lighter on the return trip. We did it as a splurge and it will certainly be something my 14 year old will remember.
The trip home was uneventful with the highlight of running low up the river to Scranton and flying over PA is both beautiful and relaxing (lots of farms). 20 mph tailwinds made for a short flight across MA back to ORH.
A little over 10 hours on the Hobbs, no problem bringing all our stuff, what a great little airplane:D

DesertFox4
04-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Sounds like you both had a great trip Dorsal. A nice little get a way the fun way. Glad those headwinds were just a small portion of the trip. Hope you can get a few more trips like this in with your 14 year old before he's off to college and then into a career and a family.
Did you take a camera along? ;)

Pilot4Life
04-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Dorsal,

Any word on those pics yet? Would love to see the adventure y'all had....

Thanks.

Dorsal
04-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Like a dope I forgot to bring a decent (non-phone) camera :o