PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know this Kitfox

Esser
04-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Older story but looks like a Kitfox owner was arrested for landing on Tybee beach!

http://www.11alive.com/video/87716625001/0/Man-lands-plane-on-Tybee-Island-beach

Grady
04-10-2012, 05:30 PM
This might help.
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/150993.html

SkySteve
04-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Belongs to Mark Jenson out of Vernal, UT. He's had it at Ogden, UT (KOGD) several times. Nice guy. He does a lot of backcountry flying.

Esser
04-11-2012, 02:33 AM
I was just curious how much trouble he got into in the end.

vixenrookie
04-11-2012, 08:15 AM
since im new to this flying business, why would they arrest him and not just give a big fat ticket? what effect does this have on your pilots license? reason i ask i have not been to any flight class yet, just curious.

rogerh12
04-11-2012, 12:40 PM
This is from an internet news site:

An amateur pilot from Arkansas has been arrested after landing a small plane on the Tybee Island beach for recreation, according to police.

The single-engine, two-seat aircraft touched sand on Tybee's north end about noon. Two occupants casually climbed out for a walk on the beach, police Lt. Jonathan Hagan said.
"There was nothing mechanically wrong with the plane - they just landed to visit the beach for the day," Hagan said. "It was strictly for pleasure."
The pilot, identified as Mark Jensen, 36, of Arkansas, was arrested on charges of reckless conduct and operating a motorized craft on the beach, Hagan said.
Jensen's mother, the passenger, was not charged.
The pair reported that they'd landed similarly on other beaches in the past.
"It's unacceptable," Hagan said. "It jeopardized the safety of our beachgoers."

Well, maybe he should have just poured a bit of water into his gasolator, that's always a good way to fake a forced landing, and still take off again :)
Roger

Dorsal
04-11-2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=1500&highlight=tybee

I thought I had seen this thread before.

rogerh12
04-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Update from the FAA:

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said in June the agency closed its investigation but could not substantiate that people were on the beach when the aircraft landed. The agency has no rules that prohibit beach landings, she said.

Lion8
04-11-2012, 02:50 PM
I was flying above the breakers 'Somewhere' in New Jersey, when I encountered some sea gulls. I heard a bump sound like maybe I had one
hit a wire or leading edge. I landed on the beach as a precaution. No one was on the beach(to cold). I landed to be on the safe side. A few people came over to check me out. I had a police office ask if there were any injuries or damage. I could not find anything wrong after an extensive examination. I found that one of my maine gear shocks stick a bit and it poped out about the same time I encountered the birds, which is what made the bump sound.
All was good. People cleared out of the way and I was cleared for take off. No problem. You just can't land where you want, unless it is an emergency, and then you have a lot of questions to answer.

Esser
04-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to post the same thread twice. I did a search for his name but nothing came up.

It really is too bad, I can see why it was a sensitive subject but an arrest is crazy. Up north here anything is considered an aerodrome. When it comes to landing on a lake that has banned power boats, use your head and be a good ambassador to the sport. I think in Canada the only places that you cannot land on that is crown land are Provincial an National parks. Obviously private property requires prior permission.