PDA

View Full Version : First Flight

DanB
04-07-2012, 06:31 PM
N314DW took the the skies today after a building process of 6 years and 3 months. She performed without a squawk and handled like all Kitfoxes do...Awesome :D

A big thanks to Steve Kellander for all of the help in making it to the finish line.
Steve took some videos so we may be able to post a little later.
Can't get the grin off my face.

Dorsal
04-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Congratulations, let the flying begin :D or rather continue!
Nice looking ship.

DesertFox4
04-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Congratulations Dan. Always fun to see the dream fly for the first time. Best of luck with the testing.

HighWing
04-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Congrats, Dan. I hope to be not too far behind. Looks good.
Lowell

GWright6970
04-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Excellent news!!! Congrats on your completion and first flight!

DesertFox6
04-07-2012, 09:42 PM
RED HOT, DAN!

I'm sorry I couldn't make it across town to FFZ for the "Big Event" but as I told DesertFox4 last night while confirming that today might be "The Day," I'd be a hostage of the "99s" at their pancake breakfast at GEU this morning. (Got to fly a couple of them as a consolation prize though! :rolleyes:)

Take great care during your flight test program; don't hesitate to ask for help from any of us when you feel the need, and we're all looking forward to having you patrol the "Clear Blue Western Skies" with the rest of us!

"E.T."
(Izzat pop-up TFR hazard over FFZ cancelled yet...? :D )

wannafly
04-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Most excellant news. great to see. Way to hang in there and getter done:D

hansedj
04-08-2012, 06:17 AM
congratulations Dan can't wait for the videos. Way to hang in there taking one step at a time to get that great looking kitfox flying..... Dj

SkySteve
04-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Dan,
GREAT NEWS!!!! You're flying your own bird! What a great day. Many of us have been waiting for this event, but you did the work. Fly Boy, Fly Boy!!

I was in your town this week, but just briefly. Next time thru I'll call and take a look at that new bird. Maybe even get a ride?

DanB
04-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks guys,
Here are a few clips from the day:

Takeoff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=acVvjlwjy5g#!

Landing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7U56Rgp3pI&feature=email

Taxi back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=-va85LOa3Qg

Still trying to wrap my head around the plane is for flying and not just sumthin to work on :)
What a great feeling

desertfox1
04-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Hey Dan,

Congrats for sure, looking forward to looking at that plane
from the air. Fly off those 40 and we will have a squadron
flight with you as lead.

Phil "Papa" Laker

DesertFox4
04-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Dan- If you don't mind, a few more photos of your successful first flight- Model 4 Kitfox 4/7/12. You both are an inspiration of persistence and dedication to everyone contemplating or building a Kitfox. Life will get in the way for some builders, as it did for Dan and Wendy. Don't give up. Stay focused and dedicated. You too will experience the greatest day in any aircraft builders life, first flight. You'll do it in a Kitfox and it doesn't get any better than that.

Congratulations again my friends. Well done. Looking forward to your aviation adventures. Please share them all here first. ;) Enjoy every flight.
P.S.- Congrats to Wendy on the return and use of her garage again.:)

Taxiing out for the big event.
A cool, steely-eyed test pilot

Triumphal return to Earth

Congrats to Dan & Wendy

Two great friends,John and Dave,
for support & to share in the
once-in-a-lifetime moment

Dan and Wendy also were joined by their friend Mike and his wife and Dan's son Jason to witness his dad's first flight. I apologize that I didn't get photos of them to share.

jdmcbean
04-08-2012, 05:15 PM
N314DW She performed without a squawk and handled like all Kitfoxes do...Awesome :D

Can't get the grin off my face.

Dan,
CONGRATS !!!! Get used to the grin.. :D I still get mine after.. lets just say alot of Kitfox time.

It's a great accomplishment !!

cjb
04-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Congratulations Dan! Glad to see you kept at it - now we need to do the same!
Chuck and Bev in Chandler

inzersv
04-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Congratulations Dan,
This will keep the rest of us on track. I have a long way to go so must take inspiration from the likes of you. Enjoy!! :)

Aviator
04-09-2012, 09:39 AM
awesome! can a cowl like that be put onto any of the KF?

DanB
04-09-2012, 05:25 PM
awesome! can a cowl like that be put onto any of the KF?
Aviator, Mine is a IV and had the option of the round or the smooth cowl. Not certain if any models prior to the IV had the smooth made. Someone else might know different.
Dan

Aviator
04-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Ive seen a model I with the same style cowl, its on barnstormers now, I was hoping they could all be converted to that style.

HansLab
04-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Congrets!! Beautiful plane and clear movie. Works out to be a fine stimulator for us, humble builders ;)
Wishing you & yours many, many safe & happy flying hours.

Mark
04-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Yeah, Dan!
Hope to see your new craft at the KF fly-in this year.

Papa Beach
04-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Congrats, Dan!

From one with a nearly identical bird. I never built mine but the fun and excitement of flying it never grows old.

DanB
04-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Congrats, Dan!

From one with a nearly identical bird. I never built mine but the fun and excitement of flying it never grows old.

I agree completely Papa B...Every time I fly it the addiction grows. Some drug these Kitfoxes ;)