PDA

View Full Version : Put throttle to the left side

Dravenelle
04-01-2012, 06:22 AM
Hi

I think to move the throtle to the left side ...for take the stick with the right hand.

many people keep the center control for copilot . Can you send me a picture for pivot system to realise that?

Dave
Kitfox II

HighWing
04-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Dave, are you asking how to put pilot and copilot throttles on the sides? If so, the Lancair I worked on had side sticks - I know, different animal - but they were connected by a tube with welded arms that crossed behind the instrument panel - think of the torque tubes for the rudder pedals or maybe an extended throttle bellcrank like on the IVs. I think it could be fairly easily done, but you would need someone to do some welding if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. Where are you in CA?
Lowell

Dravenelle
04-01-2012, 09:18 AM
I live in canada

Dave

Mnflyer
04-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Hi have you checked out these threads?
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2124&highlight=throttle+left+side
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=260&highlight=throttle+left+side

Peteohms
04-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Dave, just sit on the right side and your throttle will be on the left.

Dravenelle
04-01-2012, 11:07 AM
To seat on the right? My panel is make for left pilot.....

Dave

mr bill
04-01-2012, 03:00 PM
The Cessna, Piper and Ercoupe aircraft all fly with the left hand and throttle with the right hand, when in the left seat. It is very natural within the first hour.

kmach
04-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi,
I am not trying to talk you out of this mod, everyone has to make their own decisions.
I will mention my KF5 had at one time a throttle on the left by the left front corner of the seat, the fellow I bought the plane from spent allot of time and money to convert it back to a typical throttle in the center. He said the throttle on the side seemed to always be in the way for getting in and out.

I personally have only owned two aircraft my current KF5 and previously a Pelican Club, both with stick and center throttle. I learned with this setup and find it harder any other way, it's all what you get used to. I really find a yoke setup strange !

Jfquebec
04-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Ya ,but when you sit alone in a right seat ,you dont think you can unset the aircraft with the propeller tork???

Jf

Paul Z
04-01-2012, 06:09 PM
I flew a plane with a left throttle. I find it much more natural feeling to have a center throttle, along with the passenger then has the fly the plane in case of an emergency!

Agfoxflyer
04-02-2012, 05:12 PM
When I was getting ready to fly my plane for the first time, I got time in a taildragger with left throttle (10 hours), went next to a Kitfox with normal right throttle. Later days before first flight got two hours in a tailwheel plane with left throttle. Then I flew my Kitfox for first flight.I found it only took a few minutes to get use to where the throttle is located. And I'm not especially co ordinated, just your average guy. Same going from stick to yoke and back.

jtpitkin06
04-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Everyone has their own personal preference for stick and throttle position.
Sometimes you just have to fly with the controls you get. It is not uncommon for instructors and check pilots to fly right seat in the morning and the left seat in the afternoon.

When I laid out my Kitfox instrument panel, I made some accommodation for right seat pilots. The flight instruments are in the center of the panel… equally visible from either seat. Throttle, mixture and carb heat are in the middle. Simple installation, easy to fly.

Mount your throttle where you like. If you are thinking of dual throttles, it's a bit of a headache in a Kitfox. Your mechanism must be able to withstand the forces of one pilot pushing and the other pulling. It WILL happen.

John Pitkin

HighWing
04-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Mount your throttle where you like.

This is what I was referring to regarding something like the torque tube on the rudder pedals. If you want the throttles on both sides - or middle for the right seated pilot, they will have to be connected in a way that when your throttle is moved, it will also move the throttle on the other side. Thinking about it, what I would do is use a two throttles like the bell crank IV style with very stiff wire going to a bell crank extending across to where you want the second throttle. Can be done, but again, much easier if welding is in your skill set.
Lowell