PDA

View Full Version : First flight KFII

robotguy
03-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Have a question about flight controls. Have moved from a challenger II (try-gear). to kit fox II tail dragger. Long story short trying to take off ate up about 1000 feet 0f 700 foot runway to get airborne. Possibly because the tail never came off the ground because to late I figured out the elevator stick had to be shoved arms length and them some forward to level the plane in flight. Puts the top of the stick right under the bottom of the dash. Is this normal? if so can it be adjusted back? Or better to make a new stick with a longer bend (reach) in it? I have to hold myself forward just off the back of the seat at my shoulders. I'm 5' 9" so I don't think I'm too short for the plane. Legs reach rudders okay.

t j
03-24-2012, 05:15 PM
On take off I let the stick float to neutral. This takes about 2 or 3 seconds, then push foreward about 6 inches and the tail comes up right now.

With the stick full back to touch the seat the rod end that connects the elevator tube to the elevators should almost touch the tail post on the vertical fin. At this position the elevators should be deflected up about 30 degrees in relation to the horizontal stabilizer.

Also check to see where the stick is when you hold the elevators even in line with the horizontal stabilizer. This is where it should be in level flight with no hands on the stick. You should only need to push the stick about 6 inches past there to get the tail up on take off.

Something is out of wack with the rigging or the plane has a very heavy weight in the tail.

Peteohms
03-25-2012, 06:54 AM
I fly a Kitfox III 912. I push the stick full forward until tail raises then relax the stick as speed builds up and just fly it off. I would suggest a cushion behind your back to make it a shorter reach. I don't use a cushion because I like my leg room without the cushion.

jtpitkin06
03-25-2012, 07:11 AM
You stated... "I figured out the elevator stick had to be shoved arms length and them some forward to level the plane in flight. "

This condition is NOT normal. Weigh the aircraft and recalculate the weight and balance. Do not fly the aircraft again until you are sure it is within the CG envelope.

This sounds like a dangerously aft CG condition.

John Pitkin

DBVZ
03-25-2012, 07:16 AM
How do you use up 1000 feet of a 700 foot runway to get up? Perhaps it is 7000 foot runway.

Mnflyer
03-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Asa posted check the wt & balance if the wt & bal is within the limits then the rigging is not right with my Kitfox III the stick is in the center of travel in level flt aft of the inst. panel. If the wt & bal and rigging is right the plane will fly off from 3 pt but rasing the tail gets mine off faster.

Dave F
03-25-2012, 08:29 AM
something wrong

tail held on the ground adt full power ( if it is developing 100%)

Kitfox 2 should be up in 200 to 400 feet

unless it weighs 900 lbs

Russell320
03-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Weight and balance, rigging and proficiency check. The tail dragger is a different animal. Make sure you're current and understand what is nomal and not before hand. 1000ft takeoffs are not normal in a Kitfox.

Russ

robotguy
03-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the input guys. The plane was suppose to be flying before I bought it. I did check the elevator level with horizontal stabilizer, the stick is about 1 inch aft of the dash. I will get the weight and balance rechecked as soon as I get the scales.
Oh yea in response to the runway, there's a corn field at the end that isn't planted yet, with no fence, took it down when moved here.
This is way to nice a plane to risk any more test flights till I get better trained for tail draggers.
Just 1 question though, how reliable is the nose gear on the II's, and can it even be converted?

cap01
03-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Robot, once you get comfortable with the tailwheel you will love it

t j
03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Robotguy, your stick seems to be rigged too far forward. To adjust it, pull full back (up elevator) until the aft end of the elevator tube rod end hits the Rear tail post of the vertical fin. Now shorten the elevator tube assembly by screwing the rod ends on the elevator tube linkage in until the stick hits the seat pan just before the aft rod end hits the tail post. If it is adjusted so the tail post acts as the stop, you will be putting excessive strain on the elevator control tube assembly.

Its a big job to convert a Model II to a nose wheel. It involves removing the fuselage fabric cover to weld reinforcing and attachments for the nose wheel and brackets and bungee truss to move the main gear back.

You will like the tail wheel after a few hours of instruction.