PDA

View Full Version : Barn find- what's a KFIV-1200 kit worth?

TahoeTim
03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
What's it worth:

New KFIV-1200 kit unmolested
powder coated
upholstery
fuselage set up for 582 or 912
13 gal wing tanks
speed fairings
false ribs
wing tips, drooped and speedster

Can you guys give me a clue on what a good price would be for this "new" kit?

Thanks

P Morel
03-20-2012, 07:15 PM
It really depends on what you want to pay and how much they want to sell it for.

I can only give you my experiences. I bought 2 Model IV projects at different times within the last 4 years. The first one was a speedster with no engine. The wings were partially build and some of the fuselage was done too. I still had many many hours to go on it. I paid around $7K and had to get it from LA to ATL area. Found a used 912 for around $6K and with avionics, prop, poly fiber system & paint, I think I ended up putting at least 3X more money into the project than what I paid for it. To me, it was worth every cent. I made my maiden flight on July 2009 and as of today, I have 425 hours on it. I really love my speedster.

The 2nd project I'm now working on is a Classic 1200 that is pretty much in the same stage as the 1st project when I bought it. This one has an old style, used 912 with it and I gave around $15K. I won't be putting all the "bells and whistles" in this 2nd project, but it will be a nice plane for someone who wants to buy it.

Anyway, I hope you get the kit for a good price.

TahoeTim
03-20-2012, 07:20 PM
We are pretty far apart. I offered $6k and would consider going to $8k but that seems to be the limit for me.

P Morel
03-20-2012, 07:26 PM
$6-$8K is a respectable offer. I have the original invoices from Denny Aircraft that my seller paid. It was in the $20k range. Just be prepared to negotiate a little.

rogerh12
03-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Tim;

I think you might be missing some expensive parts.
Do you have complete landing gear (wheels, brakes, axels, tires ect…)
Stock landing gear, or grove spring gear?
Do you have doors and latchs?
Widow glass, front & top, back, door glass (regular or bubble doors)
Are the wings pre-jigged?
Do you have one or two main tanks, a header tank and fittings?
Fabric and finish supplies?
Firewall and cowling only, or does it come with an actual 912 FWF kit (hose, wires ect…)

All this stuff cost money from kitfox..

Roger

akflyer
03-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Tim;

I think you might be missing some expensive parts.
Do you have complete landing gear (wheels, brakes, axels, tires ect…)
Stock landing gear, or grove spring gear?
Do you have doors and latchs?
Widow glass, front & top, back, door glass (regular or bubble doors)
Are the wings pre-jigged?
Do you have one or two main tanks, a header tank and fittings?
Fabric and finish supplies?
Firewall and cowling only, or does it come with an actual 912 FWF kit (hose, wires ect…)

All this stuff cost money from kitfox..

Roger

He said he has a complete "unmolested" kit. Based on that, what gives you the idea that he may be missing a boat load of parts??

DBVZ
03-24-2012, 09:14 AM
I need a firewall forward kit for a 912 and instrumentation. Please let me know if anyone has this stuff. I think I want just a basic set of flight instruments so if anyone wants to upgrade to a glass panel I may be interested in your old instruments.Not just the instruments. If someone goes glass they will likely re-cut a new panel and the package may involve replacing probes and wiring. You could get the whole thing, if you are willing to live with the layout of instruments.

ITOH, going glass they could keep some instruments as backup, in case the electronics do not light up. On mine, if the EFIS is dead I am grounded. :(

avidflyer
03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
I paid $6500 for my Kitfox 4 classic 1200. It had about 25% of the work done on it if that. No firewall forward with the kit either. Concidering the original buyer paid about $14,000 for what he got with 1994 dollars, I thought it was a great deal when I bought it 3 or 4 years ago. Another thing to concider is look at the price of any new 2 seater kit from the various suppliers today. Probably $15,000 and up. If this kit isn't rusted or otherwise damaged, why should it be worth that much less than a new one? If you get too cheap, someone else might come along and snap it up for a bit more, but still at a bargin price. Take care, Jim Chuk

P Morel
04-01-2012, 12:38 PM
What's it worth:

New KFIV-1200 kit unmolested
powder coated
upholstery
fuselage set up for 582 or 912
13 gal wing tanks
speed fairings
false ribs
wing tips, drooped and speedster

Can you guys give me a clue on what a good price would be for this "new" kit?

Thanks

Did you ever get back with the seller? Did they take your offer?

MotReklaw
04-02-2012, 06:08 AM
Uh oh, are you thinking what I'm thinking Paul?

:)

TahoeTim
04-02-2012, 06:25 AM
No, the seller is at $11,000.

I am going to Osh Kosh for the first time this year so I will just wait and do some shopping at the show. Maybe a SS7 is in the works. I really like the Savage bobber look so i could be the first to build a Kitfox bobber.

P Morel
04-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Uh oh, are you thinking what I'm thinking Paul?

:)

Tommy.....I'm not looking for another project, but I know someone who is.

Geowitz
04-02-2012, 06:38 AM
11K actually sounds pretty reasonable to me(unless it's a 1050 gross weight version). It's a popular plane obviously. If I were still in the market I wouldn't expect to pay less than 10K for a clean model IV kit and in my opinion, if you're paying less than that it's because you're the only one that knows its available. There are plenty of people out there willing to pay 10K(or more) for an unmolested model IV kit. Just look at how fast they go on barnstormers. Just because someone got a steal of a deal and they brag about how cheap they got it doesn't mean that's the market value. Great if you can get a good deal, but I think the expectations presented here are a little too optomistic in a typical situation.

HighWing
04-02-2012, 07:40 AM
I agree with Geowitz. I have heard that the factory sort of discourages the IV in favor of 7 sales, so for practical purposes partially built IV kits are what is in the market. I have long suspected that the IV will eventually climb in price because if its agility, light weight and overall performance and growing scarcity. I paid about $10,000 for mine three years ago after paying $11,000 in 1993. The kit was complete but rigged up front for the 582, so making the conversion was on me, but enjoyable. For some reason the heavies don't interest me very much and I suspect these sentiments are not uncommon. I fully understand budgets as I am on one, but think of the recent lottery - three winners and a hundred million losers. Think supply and demand - good luck.
Lowell

TahoeTim
04-02-2012, 04:37 PM
It was on barnstormers at $12k and no one bought it. I took a chance and sent a message to see if it sold. IMHO, it's too much money. It is set up for a 582.

I bought my current project for exactly 1/2 the kit price so my perspective is probably off. :D

However, if you have a plane that has sat for a few years and you want to cash out, why ask what you paid? I have the cash and suspect I will come home from Osh Kosh with a lot less cash.:eek: