PDA

View Full Version : Transponder Replacement

DBVZ
03-20-2012, 07:08 AM
The Narco 50 gets hot and shuts off, and the avionics guy says it would cost more to fix than it would be worth. Options seem to be about $500 - 700 for another Narco, with no guarantee it will last; or $1,500 - 2,000 for a new mode C transponder, or $2,500 - $3,500 for a mode S. Since mode S will be needed in about 8 years, if I go new I guess mode S makes the most sense. But I am thinking I would like to do this cheap now.

Dorsal
03-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Caution, as I understand it Mode S will be outdated and should not be confused with ADSB (others please correct me if I have this wrong). I picked up a nice Mode c Garmin unit on Ebay for ~$600.

There is a nice GTX320A on Ebay now (new condition)

Av8r_Sed
03-20-2012, 10:27 AM
I think Dorsal's got it right. Go on the less expensive side but get a solid state unit used like one of the Garmins. Ought to run cooler and be reliable.

-- Paul S

Tom Waid
03-20-2012, 11:12 AM
For a Mode S transponder to be compliant with ADS-B OUT a TSO-C146A GPS (WAAS) has to be connected. This gets VERY expensive. The other way to participate with ADS-B is with a Universal Access Transceiver (http://www.navworx.com/navworx_store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=32) (UAT). The technology is young and the regulatory dust has not settled. One day any of us who operate in airspace that now requires Mode C will need to have ADS-B. I want a little more clarity before I get my feet wet.

DBVZ
03-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks. Used Mode C for me, for now.

DBVZ
03-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Scratch that. New Mode C by Garmin. I could not find a good used one with much if any warranty for a reasonable price. The one that looked possible, was sold when we called. So on the basis of my rule-of-thumb I bought new. My rule is, if it will cost more than 50% of the cost new to fix or replace the old item, it is likely best to buy new with a new warranty. In this case, it was close to 75% of the cost new, to buy and install a good used solid state transponder. Done deal.

Dorsal
03-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Cool, onward and upward :)