PDA

View Full Version : Door cylinder installation

Dravenelle
03-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi

I need your opinion for door cylinder installation ,front or back of the door?

I see many pictures on the web, and i think the front is better choice because the handle to close the door is on front.

With the front installation cause problem when enter on the cockpit?

What do you think about that?

Dave

Dorsal
03-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Mine is on the front and I have never noticed it getting in the way.

Av8r_Sed
03-08-2012, 06:36 PM
The front works well for me too.

-- Paul S

kmach
03-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I also have the cylinder on front, and have never noticed it when getting in or out. I'm 6'2"

Agfoxflyer
03-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Same here. On the front and never been a problem.

Dravenelle
03-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Perfect ....i process thank's

David

Dave S
03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Ours is fine with the the front mount - no interference with getting in or out.

BTW - the manual on the S-7 calls for a front mount.............take some think time considering how the dynamics would work out with a rear mounted cylinder and and a door accidentally opening in flight.........................

DS
St Paul, MN
KF7 Trigear

Dravenelle
03-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Another question....for the bracket on fuselage tube...you install with stainless rivet or welding to the fuselage tube?

Dave

HighWing
04-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Dave,
Late, but the brackets I have seen are clamps something like Adel clamps for the fuselage tube and bracket made up from a partial tube with a tab for the door. I don't think I would drill into the fuselate tube. Mine are the clamp type and I put a bit of Hysol under the clamp before tightening it with the spring strut stud bolt. For the door, the partial tube bracket is hysoled and riveted with four SS rivets.
Lowell

Dravenelle
04-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Ok great....

I put hysol and adel clamp

Thank you

Dave

Jfquebec
04-01-2012, 04:48 PM
My bracket is weld on tube,,,,

Jf

jrevens
07-14-2015, 05:20 PM
Can anyone tell me how far from the upper corner of the door you mounted the lift strut bracket that is riveted & bonded to the door frame? The struts included in my kit are 11.25" long, fully extended. With the other bracket that is welded to the fuselage frame, even mounting the door bracket very close to the corner doesn't open the door nearly as far as it could be opened & still clear the fuel tank quick drain. Because of leverage consideration, you wouldn't want to mount it real close tho the corner anyway. How far down have others found to be "ideal"? I am talking about a SS 7, and the standard flat Lexan doors. Appreciate any replies and dimensions if possible.

Dave S
07-14-2015, 05:56 PM
John,

I don't have the dimension at hand, however, here are three photos so you can esitmate how ours turned out (both sides are the same). So the ball stud/bracket is about as far down the door frame as the hinge is from the front corner. The 3rd photo shows the door open so the window is very close and parallel to the wing.

FWIW - there are two versions of the quick drain....standard one which sticks out further and the flush one, which isn't exactly flush, but sticks out from the fabric maybe/only 3/16"...we have the flush rather than the standard...I mention this because it has an effect on how you set the door frame bracket. With the flush drain the door can be set to open a bit further.

I'd define ideal as what position puts the door in the right place when it is open with the gas cylinder fully extended.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

jiott
07-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Just a caution: Leave about 1" clearance between the door plexi and the underwing contact point. I mounted mine too close (about 1/2") and during engine idle or taxiing with the door open it will jiggle up and make contact, which soon marks or scratches the plexiglass door.

jrevens
07-14-2015, 09:24 PM
Thanks, Dave and Jim. Dave, your pictures are just what I needed. For some reason, the tabs welded to the fuselage at the factory are located so that even with the door tabs located where yours are, my doors will not be open nearly as much (with the factory-supplied struts, which are 11.25" in length when fully extended). If you have the same struts, I have to believe that the factory located my fuselage tabs lower than yours. Additionally, my struts will not be nearly as compressed as yours are in the closed position. I guess that's okay, as I've seen some pictures where the doors are open much less than yours. It seems to me that it all boils down to either my struts are shorter than yours, or the tabs are welded on lower.

If John McBean sees this, I hope he'll comment on those 2 possibilities.

JohnB
07-18-2015, 11:00 AM
I had the same issue with mine. I have the flat door skins, not the bubble doors. I ended up getting longer struts so that I could open the door almost to the wing. I think the ones I got were Sachs SG459005 struts 12" extended and 50lbs force.