PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for First Flight in a Model III

Av8r_Sed
03-07-2012, 07:04 PM
My Model III is scheduled for it's airworthiness inspection in the next couple of weeks and my thoughts are now on preparing for the first flight in my bird. Anyone have ideas on how I might be able to get some dual in a 582 powered 2, 3 or 4 in the Northern IL, Southern Wi area? I did my tailwheel transition with Paul Leadabrand in his Model 7 SLSA out in Boise, but that was in October and I'm feeling a tad rusty.

-- Paul S

t j
03-07-2012, 08:15 PM
I trust you have read the "How TO FLY A Kitfox" book. If not, it's contents are included in the "Kitfox Pilot's Guide". You can find that available on page 7 here http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/Product_Catalog/KApartscatalog.pdf

That was the best thing I did. Your kitfox is going to react faster on the control imputs than the SLSA kitfox.

DBVZ
03-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I was recently told that the first flight of a new plane, can not be done by the builder. Is that correct?

Av8r_Sed
03-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Yup, I've been through it a few times. I'm just trying to get as prepared as possible.

Not true in the least. It's a judgement call on who is best qualified.

Dorsal
03-08-2012, 04:24 AM
I certainly did mine and belive the builder is most frequently the first flight pilot.
Best of luck with the flight, I planned my first two flights out meticulously and that helped me prepare.

czkree
03-08-2012, 05:15 AM
If your feeling rusty, then get more dual stick time before you do it. Couple more hours of dual is cheaper then rebuilding your plane. I did my dual in a c-172. I have flow with the 582 on a III, much lighter then the SS, and that is felt in the controls.

Av8r3400
03-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Paul, there are several of us up in Northern Wisconsin that could help you. Even an LS-CFI to make it official...

Some dual would definitely help knock the rust off.

Av8r_Sed
03-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks! I'll DM you to see what we can work out.

-- Paul