PDA

View Full Version : Hks 700e ?

birddog486
03-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I've posted this question a couple places but haven't got alot of info so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm trying to decide on an engine and it's between the Rotax 582 or the HKS 700e for an early Kitfox/Avid.

I haven't found any performance data for the plane with the HKS to help me decide one way or the other but I like the reliability of the four stroke with the long TBO and the lower fuel consumption.

Anyone have some input, good or bad to share?

btw this plane has extended speed wings.

Peteohms
03-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Try

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=7

birddog486
03-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks, I did see that older thread and I'm hopeing theres a few more people running the HKS now. I noticed that thread was started in 2008

Mnflyer
03-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi birddog 486, I'm still flying my Kitfox III / HKS and as far as I'm concerned it the best money I spent on the Kitfox. Have 460 hrs and it preforming great, 3 gph fuel burn 91 octane have only replaced a couple of carb boots, spark plugs and oil and filters, it starts instantly and runs nice smooth and quiet. Check here there's a fellow that has an Avid powered HKS in the group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HKS-engines/

Dravenelle
03-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Mnflyer

What prop do you use with hks? And do you have a special thing for cooling the head cylinder or just wind enter from rond nose?
Dave

Mnflyer
03-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Hi Dave I have a 68" 2 blade Warp Drive prop it has worked very well, as for the cooling I did fabricated some very simple baffles to direct the air in and around the cylinder barrels (the heads of the HKS are oil cooled) the air exits out the bottom and I did install a lip just ahead of the opening to create a venturi effect and it works good the CHT generally run around 300 to 307*F oil temps are near 160 t0 175*F.

Dravenelle
03-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Thank's

If you have a picture of your hks installation....i appreciate!

Dave

Dravenelle
03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Another question....do you use a standard muffler or custom?
Dave

Mnflyer
03-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi Dave, I used the HKS type 6 muffler / exhaust, if you go to my album I have a number of photos posted if you'd like more let me know.
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=18

birddog486
03-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Mnflyer, is that the STOL wing on your plane? My Avid will have the extended speedwing and I'm really curious on the speeds I would be getting with the HKS.

Did you fab the intakes? Would having the carbs on top cause issues with the cowl?

Mnflyer
03-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Hi birddog, the Kitfox has the standard wing, yes the intakes were modified to fit the tight space between the engine and firewall as the up intakes & carbs would not fit in the cowl. I did not do the mod on the intake tubes the folks I bought the engine and engine mount from did. There are several guys with the HKS in the Avid and I know one fellow modified his cowl with small bumps on the top for the carbs and it looks good on his plane I really don't know what kind of speeds they are getting but I believe it better than I'm getting but I think the Avid was a bit faster than the early Kitfox's.