PDA

View Full Version : Ready for WINTER??

kitfox2009
03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Winter is pretty well over but I am still experimenting with super easy ways to provide the engine (912UL) with warm oil. Last week one of our local suppliers had battery blankets on sale for less than seven dollars. For the folks down south a battery blanket is an electric pad that wraps around your automotive battery in order to keep it warm in severe temperatures. We used them extensively in the Yukon.
I wrapped it around my oil tank, ran the electric plug up to the fuel pump area and plugged it in. The current draw is only 60 watts therefore it could be left on continuously during cold weather. I also find now with the new Rotax filters there is very little "run back" therefore the oil level in the tank remains fairly constant.
Anyway, this morning had nice warm oil (tank was warm to the touch) and instant start with early "in the green" oil temps.
The blanket was a bit difficult to get a neat job of wrapping but I think the long term benefits of warm oil will out weigh the poor esthetics of the wrap job! Anyone else tried this yet?
Cheers
Don:)

DBVZ
03-04-2012, 08:12 PM
I am in South Carolina in the winter, and have no cabin heat. If it is below 50*F I just stay home. :D;)

whitewulfe
03-11-2012, 08:27 AM
I am in South Carolina in the winter, and have no cabin heat. If it is below 50*F I just stay home. :D;)

That's almost shorts weather!! Wait, that's 10C... Yup, shorts and tshirt weather up here :D.

DBVZ
03-11-2012, 08:36 AM
That's almost shorts weather!! Wait, that's 10C... Yup, shorts and tshirt weather up here :D.We like it! We get into the 70's often, and the 60's and sunny is normal here except when a storm front is passing or just passed. So good weather flying is just a matter of waiting a day or two. No problem for an old retired guy.;)