PDA

View Full Version : Locating false ribs between rib 6 and 7

szicree
02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Anybody got any pics of this? It seems that the false ribs will end up on the strut brackets. Thanks.

Dave S
02-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Steve,

Yup - the bottom false ribs will end up on the front lift strut brackets - I don't have any pictures; but, what you do is is shape the front end of the particular false rib so that the profile is the same as for the others - Just hold a straightedge across the ribs and see how much you have to trim off the front of the false rib to make it hold the same profile as the others.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Jim
02-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Here is how I did it. I remember the manual said not to put false ribs in the strut bay.

Jim
02-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Here is a picture of the bottom false ribs. 1st picture was of top ribs, sorry.

jiott
02-28-2012, 04:36 PM
In the SS7 manual you DO put bottom false ribs in the strut bay, but only 2 instead of 3. Just trim them to fit against the strut brackets like Dave said.

Jim

Jim
02-28-2012, 05:13 PM
I should have mentioned that I have a series 5. Jim

szicree
02-28-2012, 07:43 PM
When you say two, can I assume that you mean to simply omit the inboard upper rib?

jiott
02-29-2012, 11:44 AM
I beleive the manual says to use 2 bottom false ribs, evenly spaced in the bay. Do you not have access to a SS7 manual?

Jim

jiott
02-29-2012, 11:46 AM
The top false ribs use 3 in that bay, evenly spaced.

Jim

szicree
03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
I beleive the manual says to use 2 bottom false ribs, evenly spaced in the bay. Do you not have access to a SS7 manual?

Jim

I should read my own posts more carefully :). I meant bottom ribs, I figured the top would take three. So, the manual actually says: "Install only two bottom false ribs between ribs #6 and #7, however, spaced evenly around the lift strut bracket." This makes it sound like I should place one inboard and one outboard of the bracket. The problem with this is that the strut attach point in the bracket is only about 3 inches from the #6 rib, leaving no good spot for the inboard-most false rib. On the other hand, leaving out the inboard-most rib would allow the other two to go in their normal spot, lined up with the top ribs. So what to do?

jiott
03-01-2012, 11:30 PM
I beleive most of us interpreted the manual to mean 2 bottom false ribs evenly spaced in the bay. One will butt up against the strut bracket and need to be trimmed. No other interpretation makes much sense. It works for me.

Jim

ken nougaret
01-28-2013, 10:04 AM
does anyone have any pics of where they placed the bottom false ribs between ribs 6 & 7?
thanks, ken

mr bill
01-28-2013, 10:27 AM
I used 3 ribs. Not a good camera angle, but it is all I have.

t j
01-28-2013, 12:47 PM
I put all three in. I discovered when covering the first wing it would be a lot easier to get the aluminum cover reinforcing piece to lay better if the center false rib had the flower portion of the nose trimed back some.

You might put the wing strut bolt in the fitting with the nut on and see how the cover reinforcement piece fits then do any trimming of the false ribs before you epoxy them.

War Eagle
02-02-2013, 06:03 PM
X2 on the install.

Here is a pic.

dc910sn
04-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Ok I agree with all the posts, however I'm trying to stick with the manual that states to put only two ribs in the botton bay evenly spaced. See pics. When I trimmed the rib to fit (on) the strut bracket it leaves very little to hysol to hold in. Also, it looks like it's going to interfere with the assembly? 3 in the bay spaced seems to be the best, also planning on installing the LLE kit if that would make a difference. Any information greatly appreciated. Had to replace 8 false ribs from delivery. Sorry the enclosed pic is before I trimmed the rib.
Thanks, Ted

War Eagle
04-07-2014, 07:38 PM
The first pictures shows the false rib location relative to the lift strut bracket on my plane.

You will notice there is also one extra rib in this wing assembly. It would not be there in a standard wing assembly, but I added it in my build so as to be able to mount a stall fence in the mid wing position.

The second picture shows the false rib assembly location relative to the lift strut bracket on a second plane.

rosslr
04-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Hi Ted,

Here's a pic of mine with All three three fitted and the LLE. I took the advice of the experienced lot on this forum.

Cheers

Ross

dc910sn
04-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. I found what I think
I was looking for on Tom Waids build site,
He's in the photo album list, see pic.

I beleive most of us interpreted the manual to mean 2 bottom false ribs evenly spaced in the bay.

n85ae
04-08-2014, 08:35 AM
This little minor detail, will later haunt you if you ignore it. :)

You might put the wing strut bolt in the fitting with the nut on and see how the cover reinforcement piece fits then do any trimming of the false ribs before you epoxy them.

Danh
08-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Did we ever come up with the true answer to this question ?
Do those folks that used 3 bottom ribs cover ok?
The 7ss manual does say 2 bottom it looks like 3 makes a better look
And evens out better with the 3 top ribs like all others

Dave S
08-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Dan,

I think what we have to consider is there may be more than one way to do this.....yes, the manual says 2 on the bottom in the attach bracket bay; however, these are experimental aircraft and the bulder has the option of engineering changes if they are confident of maintaining or improving a design or making it more to their liking/purpose.....About the only snaggle I can see in going to three false ribs on the bottom has to do with needing to account for the installation of the rod end bolt/nut; but that can be accomplished too with a little bend or notch in the fabric reinforcing plate/gusset.

You won't go wrong following the manual; and, many builders make little changes along the way which work just fine too.....again, often more than one way to do it. Both answers can be true.:)

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear (with 3 false ribs on the bottom)
912ULS Warp Drive

Dave

ken nougaret
08-20-2014, 09:09 PM
I used all three. Covered fine. Haven't had the wings back on the plane since.
Ken

dginok
08-21-2014, 05:56 AM
I used two per the manual, and they look lovely, sitting in the garage.

jrevens
08-21-2014, 09:55 AM
I used 3 also.