PDA

View Full Version : Buying used equipment

mcguif0a
01-26-2009, 08:41 PM
So, I am looking for deals on avionics like the transponder, radio and GPS on barnstormers.com and ebay. My question is; what things should I be looking for in used avioncs adds? What questions should I be asking the seller? Or is buying used too big of a risk?
All input is helpful,
Tyler

Mnflyer
01-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi Tyler, my opinion is that buying avionics on e bay is kind of a crap shoot, don't get me wrong I have bought lots a aircraft parts etc on e bay and have had good results but avionics is different in my book. When I was looking for a good handheld any that were good went for too much money and I bought new.
As for questions to ask: does it have a serviceable tag when and why was it removed (if for upgrade was it working as it should be)how old is the item 1 or 2 yrs or 6 yrs.is it complete with trays / racks and wiring. If you don't get the trays and wiring etc it may cost you as much at a avionics shop to get those items as the parts did and when your done you maybe close to new price.

Dave S
05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Tyler,

This is one of those issues that is really subject to one's tolerance for surprises.

My personal opinion - I flew a number of old beat to crap rental airplanes for a number of years with all of the old beat to crap avionics complete with old beat to crap avionics problems - most of the trouble I had to endure was "wonder radios" because you always had to wonder if they were in the mood for working at any particular time, transponders that ATC griped about, alternator circuits that didn't like to stay set, etc, etc.. Did that experiment - don't need to repeat it...

On the kitfox - I swore I would only put in new avionics. The first question I had to answer when I got the transponder certified was: " Be honest now - is the transponder, encoder, antenna new or did you go out and buy somebody else's problems?" new stuff - net result - passed first time - no problems - I am happy.

Now - on the other hand - if a person can get used equipment that comes with an exchange or replacement guarantee - which a reputable shop will provide, it might be a deal. If a replacement is needed - you still have to supply the labor to make the switch and may not be able to get an equivalent replacement resulting in a need to do some re-wiring - all possibilities one must accept if going the second hand route.

Another thought - there have been so many improvements in electronics - a person may want to consider if they want to start out with new stuff for this reason alone.

I think there are some opportunities to save some bucks with used equipment; but, a person has to be really up on assessing the condition of electrical stuff; or, at least - have the seller close enough so they are not tempted to slip you a swift one.

Again - just my opinion - I'd rather fly than spend time fixing stuff.

For the record - a person can spend more on annual hangar rental than new installed avionics.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7

n85ae
05-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Lot's of times a piece of electronics that's been running day in and day out
for years is a better piece of equipment, than something just out of the box.

Other times it's not.

If it comes with a guarantee, I see no difference whether it is used or new
except in the price.

I have an overhauled KX-155 in my plane that has never failed, and a brand
new (when I bought it) GNC-250XL that has been back to Garmin once. So
in this instance my used equipment has failed me less.

Jeff