PDA

View Full Version : Airmaster with Kiev or Warpdrive?

markdille
02-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the constant speed controller from Airmaster that can handle the above props or even the Sensenich? It's expensive, but it seems like an excellent product, and it would end the never ending fight to optimize pitch control. It's a true constant speed as well, so no messing with pitch control due to accel or decel. I'm considering it for my next project, just haven't decided on a Kitfox or Highlander yet. Each has their strengths, but they overlap so much anyway. Both great planes that can be rated at 1500 - 1550 gross if desired. The Sport Plane licensing would be thrown out the window with the Airmaster anyway.

Esser
02-21-2012, 06:47 PM
WarEagle runs that prop with great results. He says it's better by a good margin than the IVO IFA...im sure he will chime in soon.

War Eagle
02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
I and 5 other pilots fly the Kitfox with the Airmaster CS props. I have never heard of the Airmaster using the Kiev blades or the Sensenich blades but I do know about the warp drive blade.

All 6 of the pilots I am talking about use the Warp drive taper tip blades (nickle leading edge). The 72 inch diameter 3 blade combination is configuration we fly.

Three of these planes use the Rotax 912-100hp engine and 3 of the planes use the Rotax 914-115hp engine.

The props of these 6 planes have from 100 to nearly 400 hours on them and there has never been an operating problem of any kind.

They are smooth running and there isn't one of us that would ever go back and fly any other prop.

They are pricey but any real CS will put a whole in your pocket book. The Airmaster in built in New Zealand and a fair portion of the aqusition cost is due to the an exchange issue of our US dollar not doing well (and getting worse).

These props are computer controlled and are programmed for the operating parameters of the Rotax engine, but can be fine tuned to the pilots personal preferences as well.

The pitch is adjusted and controlled by electric motors rather than the hydraulic controls as used on Lyc and Continental motors etc.. This means you don't have to have pay extra for the hollow crank on your rotax in order to run a CS like the Hoffman etc..

markdille
02-28-2012, 05:47 AM
War Eagle,
Thanks for the replies. That is great news on the reliability and operation. In concept, the system seems really good. The real feedback is the important part. By the way, the system that operates with the other props is the AP430.

Newkid
03-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Steve Henry has run both an Airmaster with Warp blades and Kiev blades on his new Highlander. He said the performance didn't really change between the two but the one with the Kiev blades was far smoother.