PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox 3 Wing Locker

bbryan
01-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Just getting started on model 3 wings. Can anyone give any input on the pros and cons of having the wing lockers, also my construction manual doesn't give any instruction for installation. Does anyone have any diagrams for installation?

Are they worth the trouble?

Slyfox
01-20-2009, 08:49 AM
When I first got my airplane it had the wing locker in the left wing. I went and redid the whole airplane about a year later. I replaced the fabric, ultralight fabric and put in medium, shortened the wings to the speedster, removed the wing locker and put in a big tank. I feel the wing locker was better used for extra fuel. Now that I have the 912uls motor I'm really glad I have the bigger tank instead. I guess it's possible to put a wing locker and a big tank, I just didn't do it. Time constraints, I had the kitfox redun in less than 5 months. I guess I work fast, the engine only took me one week to put in. I replaced everything up front including mount and exhaust. If any of you have put a 912 in a model 4, you can understand how much work you need to do.

vetdrem
01-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I have a wing locker in the left wing, but would rather have the large fuel tank instead.

I have the builders instructions that I could copy and send. If you want me to, email me at vetdrem@hotmail.com

Louie

SkySteve
01-20-2009, 05:44 PM
I also have the wing locker in the left wing. Never have used it.

Slyfox
01-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Yup, that brought up a thought that I had on the wing locker that I had. I needed a ladder to get in it. I guess I'm just too short. It was a pain to get in it.

DesertFox4
01-20-2009, 10:23 PM
I had one wing locker on my Model 3 and was glad as the 3 had very little storage inside the cockpit. I did have to stand on the tire to reach it and maybe that's why they placed them that close to the wing root in the first place. On a tri-gear they would be very hard to reach without a step stool.