PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox Aircraft and Stick & Rudder - Sebring & Bahama Bound 2012.

DesertFox4
01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Stick & Rudder Aviation and Kifox Aircraft are departing from Boise on 1/14/2012 with 3 "Super Sport's" - bound for our display booth @ the Sebring Florida Light Sport Trade show - via the Rocky Mountain passes, deep red-rock canyons, and the warm gulf coastline - then on to exploring the white sand beaches of the Bahama's for a week. The return adventure departs about Jan 28.
We'll attempt to pass along pictures and video clips through TeamKitfox.com or on our web sites.

Stick & Rudder web site:http://stick-rudder.com/

Kitfox Aircraft LLC web site:http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Z
01-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Man some desolate areas of Texas! Which Spot is Paul using?

Paul Z
01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Now he is just Showing off, landing at George Bush International in Houston! That is one busy Airport, I can hear the Big Boys commenting about the Yellow SLSA Kitfox in front of them. When you Fueling up make sure you tell them your Kitfox does not use Jet fuel! I would ask them for Unlead Auto Fuel, cut the Ethenol!

Correction: I can hear the Big Boys commenting about the M&Ms Red, Blue, & Yellow SLSA Kitfox's in front of them.

DesertFox4
01-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Photo of John McBean's panel upgrade.

Departing Idaho for Sebring.

En-route to Mineral Springs

Kitfox's at Mineral Springs

Dorsal
01-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Wow, those are some beautiful shots, must be nice.

DesertFox4
01-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Paul, I'm not sure what model SPOT Paul is using on the trip. I'll have to do some research on the latest SPOT offerings. Looks like it's working perfectly so far. Fun to watch the progress.

Paul Z
01-16-2012, 04:56 PM
I am going to order one of those SPOTS! That is cool to look back at where you had traveled. I also like the security of the SOS.

jdmcbean
01-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Paul actually is using one of the older spots that is no longer available.. He is upgrading shortly to the spot connect

Ask the tower for intersection departure and was forced to full length...

As we departed... The 737's words were (with a Texas drawl)

737-them Kitfox's..
6KA-Yes
737-that didn't take long
6KA-2YB... :D

Paul Z
01-16-2012, 06:07 PM
John,

It is fun watching the progress towards Florida.

Why did y'all stop in College Station, Texas, home of the Fighting Texas Aggies?

DesertFox4
01-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Couple more from John and Paul.

VFR on top.

Sunset.

Landing for the night Destin,Fl.

DesertFox4
01-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Forgot one.

Fuel stop south of Mobile,AL
It's against the rules to stop on pavement for fuel. "Ray"

DesertFox4
01-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Latest photos from John and Paul.

Landing @ Dog Island (a barrier island) off the Florida coast)

Stretching our legs @ Dog Island - we could hear the surf pounding after we shut down:

GPS Proof, we were off shore:

Found this grass strip that had every pilots dream - lights and a Mexican restaurant - smelled good too

Tom Waid
01-20-2012, 07:37 AM
found this grass strip that had every pilots dream - lights and a mexican restaurant - smelled good too

Caution! Bean Component! Not authorized for flight!

DesertFox4
01-22-2012, 09:33 AM
3 photos from the Sebring,Fl. show. Looks like John and Paul are busy extolling the virtues of the most exciting recreational vehicle made.

Paul Z
01-23-2012, 02:49 PM
How much does it cost to land in the Bahamas? You definitely took the water route!:eek: If I had the nerves to fly there, I would have gone over the Islands!

Tom Waid
01-24-2012, 04:37 AM
How much does it cost to land in the Bahamas?

Great website about flying in the Bahamas (http://fly-bahamas.com/page.aspx?type=welcome)

Pilot Information is here. (http://fly-bahamas.com/page.aspx?type=PilotInfo) Currently the only charge seems to be a $15 per person departure fee. (You have to pay to leave.) If you land at one of the private airports there can be additional charges.

It's important to note that not all Bahamian airports have tie-downs on their parking ramps.

Linda and I flew to Sebring last Sunday and found John and Paul in good spirits. As usual I had a thousand questions about my kit. John's a very patient man.

DesertFox4
01-25-2012, 09:48 AM
To the Bahamas.

Leaving the coast of Florida with John in tow

80 miles out. "Bimini" to clear customs and get our island cruising permit - next stop another 160 miles out.
The runways almost always into a 10-15 mph steady breeze until you get below the Palm & Pine trees that line the edge - then hang on.
The customs guy had never seen such cool planes
Really out there
Berry islands. Starbucks muffin 4 hours ago wasn't enough - getting hungry - looking for lunch

DesertFox4
01-25-2012, 09:56 AM
More Bahama adventures 2012

Found a lunch stop, right next to the airport, we could walk to, on the beach -Great Harbour Cay
Another 70 + miles - what's the point in going high, you're still going to get wet.
North Eleuthera. Our destination almost 200 miles off Florida
Inviting warm waters
Lots of water...
We think it is a 30-40 ft baby Sperm Whale
Fun, Fun, Fun !!
You never leave your wing man, unless one is forced to test the life raft. Celebratory Scotch is in the belly pod.

DesertFox4
01-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Bahama Trip

Off across the water. For our $50 hamburger in a neighboring island of the Exuma's - remember it's cheaper in a Kitfox.
Water colors
A toss up. Who's having more fun - sailing friends gathering in a cove or flying on each others wing.
Too much fun
Landing Norman's Cay - used to be drug runners' stronghold
Norman's Cay leg stretch
Our lunch stop - 150+ miles out
We left the airplanes to enjoy the view while we walked to find a "Grouper" burger - Yum!
The weather was a changing for the flight home. Looking like a wispy billowing opaque shower curtain - of fine rain water hanging straight down from the cloud bottoms - blocking our path - with moving sucker holes - chasing the pot-of-gold at the end of the rainbow.

DesertFox4
01-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Beautiful photos guys. Thanks for sharing. It's clear you're all having a blast.
I bet those Rotax engines sound just as good over miles of open water as they do over mountainous terrain.;)
Safe journey back. Can't wait to see some video. Keep your feet dry.:D

SkySteve
01-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Soooo Cool. Absolutely beautiful!

Paul Z
01-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Flying in circles leaving the bahamas

Pilot4Life
01-31-2012, 01:17 PM
What a privilege to have met with John McBean at College Station yesterday. I was flying a King Air 350 and we'd just shot an approach to RWY 16. We decided to do some pattern work there and heard over the radio, while on downwind, that "Kitfox 102YB was inbound for landing RWY 16, full stop, College Station" and knew that it was John. We took a very brief moment to stop at the base of the tower (thank you Easterwood Tower) and I had the distinct privilege to meet John and sit in his beautiful plane. I only had a brief moment. My plane was still running with my co-pilot at the controls, and gas isn't cheap! BTW, Just for anyone wondering about the Kitfox and their fit...I'm 6' 2", 220lbs and John and I fit in it just fine. It's super comfortable and very roomy for a couple of full grown men in a two seat, side-by-side.

Anyhow....thanks John for hanging around so I could meet you.

DesertFox4
02-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Homeward bound.

The second night - after a 4 hour trip around the Gulf. Leaving the ocean tomorrow - heading inland.
South Mississippi Light Aircraft - one of 4 Rotax overhaul facilities in the country.
Their beautiful grass strip - like landing on a golf fairway.
Just into NM - Mother nature called - not on the chart or GPS moving map
Paul found this strip last year on my way to Sebring
but too heavy, hot, and late to safely try it. 7050' msl - sloped - obstacles - 1000' useable - probably a no go around.
We were met by an adjacent land owner - he said "we were the FIRST airplanes to ever land there!

Paul Z
02-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Looks like y'all made it back to Idaho. It was entertaining to
following your flight. It gave me something interesting to do and watch while I was working in the Rock Pit!

Jerrytex
02-03-2012, 08:43 AM
"If the person in or near the College Station area is willing to give out his name. I wouldn't mind flying down to meet him/her. We can compare planes and do some flying!"

Hello Paul

I am down in College Station. If I would have known that the McBeans were stopping in at Easterwood, I would have stopped by. Anyway, feel free to fly down anytime or come to one of our meetings at our new EAA chapter 1531 over in Bryan.(Coulter Airfield KCFD) Meets the third Saturday at 9am. This is a Kitfox rich area. There are three Kitfoxes in our chapter alone. There is a guy in the Waco Chapter that is seriously considering putting on a Kitfox fly-in in the next few months so I'll send a message if it comes to be.

Jerry

Paul Z
02-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I will definitely need to make a point of flying down. I will put you chapter meeting on my Calendar, third Saturday at 9am. I live in Garland based out of Mesquite. I work in McKinney so I usually only get to fly Saturday or Sunday. Keep me informed about the Waco Flyin.

SkySteve
02-03-2012, 02:25 PM
News from AOPA re: Kitfox's in the Bahamas!! http://blog.aopa.org/blog/?p=2874?WT.mc_id=120203epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan

DesertFox4
02-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Final photos from Bahama trip. Home safe.:)

Our last sunset walk on the beach

Our last view of Harbour Island before the short-cut of 225 miles across open ocean.

Notice the clouds?
We started off below (headwinds) - then went above (had a tailwind, but could also see the line of thunderstorms) - found a hole for back down below, then around, and through.

Customs was a breeze, but Kitfox's still take a back seat (or back of the line) to the jets passing through.
After dropping off our wives in Tampa to airline home - we took a little longer route to visit our business associates, and Kitfox builders & owners.

After escaping the 100 miles of fog around College Station Texas @ 500' - our excuse was we still needed to stay low to avoid the headwinds over the wide expanse of West Texas & eastern New Mexico.

Long way between fuel stops - the bladder didn't make it. I saw this unmarked one - that will work.

Just outside Durango CO - still looking UP from our preferred vantage point. Fourteen'ers in the background.

Skirting Arches National Monument near Moab UT.

Interesting geologic formations - it's much colder now (or maybe we're no longer used to it).

Stopped in to see Mark Pringle @ West Desert Airpark (UT99). He flies & does high-quality builds of the Rans S-7 (and has done a Kitfox). A nice flying-club atmosphere - Kitfox's are welcome if your in the neighborhood (he has a mogas pump). This put us in position for straight run to Boise on the west side of the great Salt Lake, and it's airspace - except for a huge restricted area.

We called the military approach controller - and amazingly they let us through. Because the worsening weather and the headwinds kept us low - their big tethered barrage balloons within the deep valleys were used eliminate any radar blind spots. We saw numerous bombing ranges with real tank & plane targets.

We couldn't get over or through the last set of mountains due to rapidly dropping ceilings & snow, so we went around.

Stayed tuned, we'll head way south again next January - a different direction to a different set of islands. Please keep an eye on our web sites in the near futures as we produce some video's of our adventures.

Best Regards,

Stick & Rudder Aviation, a dba of Stick & Rudder, LLC.

Paul Leadabrand - managing member, flight instructor
Email: kitfox.training@gmail.com
208-477-1318

Web site: stick-rudder.com

P.O. Box 170891
Boise ID 83717

jrevens
02-14-2012, 06:28 PM
That was wonderful! Thanks Paul & John for sharing the adventure! :D