PDA

View Full Version : Battery Electrolyte

henrysamson
01-12-2012, 02:09 PM
I am about to put my battery into service. It is the lead acid battery that shipped dry with my IV FF kit in about '03. Does anyone know how much electrolyte is needed to charge it. I see that A/S has 2 and 3 qt containers available.

Also, any tips on the process of activation and initial charging? And . . . if this battery does not work what are my other options that will fit in the plastic battery box.

Thanks!

Dorsal
01-12-2012, 02:16 PM
For what it is worth I took mine down to the local motorcycle/atv/snow-machine shop and they filled it for free. Though it worked fine I have since switched to the AGM version sold by Kitfox (fits in the box nicely)

henrysamson
01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
I just called a local ATV/motorcycle service department and they told me they would fill it for free!

Thanks for the top Dorsal!

BTW, I am not thrilled about having a wet battery suspended over my feet while flying but I'm going to use it for now. Should a tube be attached to the small "overflow" fitting on the battery and if so, where should it be led?

kmach
01-12-2012, 05:01 PM
I too did not like the idea of a liquid acid battery. I opted for a gel cel battery that was the same dimensions and a little more powerful.

henrysamson
01-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Do you have a manufacturer and model number for the battery you are using?

Av8r_Sed
01-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Get rid of it, save weight and elminate the potential for corrosion due to leaked acid. AGM batteries really are an improvement in technology.

-- Paul S

Av8r_Sed
01-12-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm using an Odyssey PC625. It's maybe a little oversized for my 582 installation.

-- Paul S

cainbird
01-12-2012, 07:41 PM
I am running an Odyssey 680 in my 912 Model 4. Spruce sells a nice box for it also. It's a dry cell battery so no acid to wory about. Also you can mount it laying on its side which gives you a little more flexibility when mounting. I have mine mounted on the passenger side laying down above the passengers feet. Big money but I know lots of guys who use and swear by them. I have had mine for less than a year and nothing but posatives thus far.
Cain B

Jerrytex
01-13-2012, 07:23 AM
I second the Odessey battery idea. (Batterymart $98 free shipping) If the weather is good on the 21st, I am planning on flying to the EAA meeting so I can show you how I did mine. I laid it flat since it is on the left side. It gave me more foot room that way.

Jerry

DanB
01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
I did the same thing w/ my Odessey by lying it down on the right shelf. This is what did to fasten it down.