PDA

View Full Version : 0-200 or O-235 Experience

gunther
01-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Hello everyone! Does anyone here have actual experience with building/flying a Kitfox with the O-200 or O-235? If so, any comments you want to share?

I'm new to this wonderful site and have been rebuilding/building various experimental aircraft for about 30 yrs. Of course, I still have a lot to learn. I am contemplating the order of a new Supersport and would like to hear about anyone's experience with the O-200 or O-235 in a Kitfox. I am hoping to build it very light and may eliminate the entire electrical system as I have done in the past.

Thanks, Gunther

Dave S
01-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Gunther,

I am pretty sure there is at least one person back here in Minnesnowta who has an O-200 in their model 5. I don't know if that individual is on the list, however, one of his friends is on the list and is building a model 5 with an O-200 also - my call to comment from "Jim"...

This is something you want to think through pretty carefully. If you want it light - both the O-200 and the 235 are heavier than the rotax. I believe the builder's manual calls for a forward wing sweep if the heavier engines are installed so it isn't really very easy to retro fit back to the rotax if you once have the wings installed for the heavier engines.

I put a whole bunch of extra stuff on my M -7 with a rotax and I still have a useful load of 700#.

Sincerely,

Dave S
Kitfox trigear
912ULS warp drive