PDA

View Full Version : oil returning to engine....912

foxy
01-04-2012, 08:44 AM
It may have been discussed before but I didn't find it in my search.

so,..in the 912 installation, the oil tank is too high ( not conform to the Rotax installation manual ) and I have heard and read that the oil is syphonning back to the engine ( if not run often ) and make some blockage . This is on the standard Model IV installation.

what's your experience with this ?

thanks

Monocock
01-04-2012, 10:14 AM
I bet my oil tank is higher than yours!!!!

(Top right in the pic)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/JonoHolland/fa9b3c3c.jpg

Just make sure you pull the prop through (pre-flight) with the oil filler cap off until it burps and you'll be fine. Yes, the oil will drain downwards over time when parked, but burping it will get it to where it needs to be prior to start up.

Just make sure you have a strict routine as to where you leave the filler cap when you do this procedure to make sure you cannot forget to replace it before start-up. I leave mine on top ofnthe cowl near the windshield with the screwdriver that I use to open/close the inspection panel. This way I can't close the panel without the filler cap in place.

jrthomas
01-04-2012, 10:21 AM
It's not a big problem. I just "burp it" every week of so if it's hasn't been run. I've only experienced hydraulic lock once. I just removed a spark plug from each cylinder and spun it by hand until it burped, put the plugs back in and ready to go. James Thomas, model 4 Speedster 912.

cap01
01-04-2012, 04:07 PM
the new rotax oil filters have pretty much solved the oil draining problem with the high mounted tanks .