PDA

View Full Version : Radio & Sidetone

Agfoxflyer
01-13-2009, 06:02 PM
I have a Series 5 with a 912ULS. I have had radio noise problems but recently have solved all but one. When transmitting the side tone is very noisey. I am told by unicoms and other planes in the pattern that my transmissions are loud and clear. I have an Icom A200 with a PS PM501 intercom. I use noise canceling headset and have added an Oregan Aero mic muff. This seems to help. I have gone thru all my grounding. I installed a Icom A210 in an RV-9A and it has internal menu to ajust sidetone, etc. ,but the A200 does not. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Mnflyer
01-14-2009, 04:13 PM
This may or may not help your situation but has worked wonders for others.
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/kb/Article.aspx?ArticleNumber=64ja571413

the ferrite coil things cost less than $5.00 each and like I say it has worked great for other guys.

Agfoxflyer
01-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the heads up , GB. I couldn't find the parts from Icom dealers and finally called Icom direct and ordered them. Will let you know if it solves the problem.

Agfoxflyer
01-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Update. Installed the Ferrite cores on the headsets and all worked well. Thanks.

Paul Z
01-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Being an Engineer, I agree with the idea of adding ferrite beads. On one of the Defense Projects I am working on we just recently added ferrite beeds to resolve a video signal issue. When I worked on the TI Laptops we did the same on the cables going from the Video Processor to the display. I have always been amazed at how much better the circuit performas after adding a ferrite bead.