PDA

View Full Version : Rotax ring mount on KF4

mr bill
12-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Currently have a 912ULS with a Rotax ring mount which appears to be a very well engineered, sturdy unit. My KF4 came with a Dynafocal like mount, with four independent adapters that perform the same function as the ring mount, but seem to me, not anywhere near as sturdy. Am I being overly concerned, or is there a way to adapt the ring mount to the dynafocal mount? Is there a different mount, for the KF4 that will interface with the Rotax ring mount? Will using any of these alternatives require cowling rework or hugely impact weight and balance?

HighWing
12-17-2011, 08:28 AM
I made a ring style mount for my project Model IV to move the engine forward a couple of inches for w/b reasons and having worked on a V with ring mount, my best guess is you will have to build a new firewall side and it will result in a more forward engine, a modified cowl and resulting in a more forward cg. Having flown many hours behind a Kitfox mount on a IV, if it were my choice to make, I would sell the ring -style - not cheap from Rotax - and go with what you have. Check the mods that overcame some crack issues - just too many out there supporting ULSs with happy owners.