PDA

View Full Version : Water temp readings

Dick B in KY
12-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Have a question for the populace. All you folks with a Rotax 912ULS, how are you set up to get the water temp readings for your engine? What kind(s) of fittings did you use and where did you place them in your cooling system? I know about the factory probes in the cylinder heads, but did you tap into the actual coolant lines and how?

Dorsal
12-07-2011, 06:29 PM
I don't, I just read cht which I understand to be closely related to coolant temps.

wadeg
12-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Same here... I just use the CHT. That's really where the coolant temperature matters anyway. If anyone has a reason to tap in elsewhere, let us know!

Dave S
12-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Hi Dick,

We have the Series 7 with 912ULS. The hookup is a CHT probe (Identical probe as for the oil temp) screwed into the head of the rear cylinder on the starboard side. I did not use the cylinder fitting on the Port side because the would be right out in the front with first contact with the air coming under the cowl - considering that one may read cooler then the one on the back side. It's the standard hookup so the probe screws into a well and does not contact the coolant. The indicator is the standard Quad Gauge displaying CHT/EGT/Oil Temp/Oil Pressure.

Sincerely,

Dave S

kmach
12-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi,
there is an aluminum fitting available, with 1" barbs and a threaded hole that accepts a rotax temp sender. You can put it anywhere accessible in the coolant line after the expansion tank before the rad "in" . I believe Lockwood or Leaf should have it.