PDA

View Full Version : NANCO tires

GDN
11-18-2011, 03:08 PM
I've just received my Nanco tires for my original ATV wheels, i couldn't succeed to inflate them as they seem to have been stored for a long time and the rubber is completely deformed. So the at automotive workshop the guy couldn't inflate them.
it's 21X12X8 tires. Is anyone had the same problem and succeed would like to have his method

Thanks from France

896tr
11-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I have had good luck setting the bead on tires using starting fluid and a match. Spray some starting fluid into the tire and throw a lit match at it.(it will make a loud pop) Starting fluid is a must have in the tool kit of all of the sand rails of the guys that I go to the sand dunes with.

Marshawk
11-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Seen the same thing on you tube a guy setting the tire with starter fluid,I cannot remember were it was but try a search on you tube to see how they do it.

GDN
11-19-2011, 12:50 AM
First will prefer the ratchet straps system, i've seen movies on youtube with starter fluid it's quiet dangerous if too much gas don't want to have Matco MFG engraved on the face

Esser
11-19-2011, 03:46 AM
The ratchet strap works great. I've used it on Skid steers, pick ups, and 4 wheelers.

Couple things, don't put too much air in until you get the strap off. Just enough to set the bead. And when you do go to take the strap of, be careful. I have a nice scar from doing this when the ratchet sprocket unwound very fast and it caught my palm. You live you learn.

ackselle
11-19-2011, 06:39 AM
The starter fluid(ether) method works great. Our tire shop uses it regularly on agricultural tires to set the bead when the rim is wide enough to make setting a bead difficult.

Here's the link on youtube from one of our fine members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ndpuhDqMg

Fooey
11-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Using starter fluid is completely safe if you have your mother in law throw the match! ;>)

Av8r3400
11-19-2011, 05:00 PM
The video is worth watching to see Dave without his shirt on.

(Not!!)

kitfox2009
11-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Hi All
I believe the ether method got it`s "start" in our North Country! When mounting tires in the Yukon at -40F to -60F this method was quite common practice. Also just about every vehicle had a few cans of ether available.
Happy now to have these experiences as distant memories!
Cheers
Don

Dave F
11-21-2011, 03:05 AM
Strap works great on many tiress, but NOT these tire/wheel combo.

video shows it best. let see some more Kitfox videos guys with some kick ass content

GDN
11-21-2011, 03:48 AM
I confirm didn't succeed this week-end with straps, even with Al Qaïda method

I bought this tire from Highwing LLC and i think there was stored too long on the side with heavy things on it...

Now i don't knox hox to do

t j
11-21-2011, 06:57 AM
I think your tires are okay, not smashed. That is how they are all shipped. I used tubes in mine. Here's a method I saw on an ATV web site to seat them tubeless.

First thing, remove the valve stem core! Not the entire valve stem just the little core inside.

Once the valve stem core is removed, take a strap and securely wrap it around the center of the tire.

Lube the rim with water and dish soap mix.

Take the tire chuck off your air hose and put a straight blow chuck on.

Now take your air supply and place it on the valve stem, with the core still removed. This will allow a higher rate of air flow into the tire. Plus if you overfill the tire, once you remove the air flow, the extra will rush right out.

Don't git your fingers or anything else valuable between the tire and the rim. It will take them right off when the bead pops on.

Dave F
11-21-2011, 08:38 PM
to be honest -breaking the bead is the hardest to do. I have made a tool to do these. 2 tires R & R 5 mins or so.

Ether to set the bead - simple !!

That is I make you guys videos, so you can see real time without reading and trying things that do not always work.

Good Luck ..

cap01
11-23-2011, 09:22 AM
dave , a great video i might add , thanks , the comments were also entertaining

GDN
11-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Now just waiting my new bush gear from HighWing LLC lock by the customs since one large week at Paris

And waiting the finishing of the recovering.

Will post new pictures when will be finished.

This complete overhaul take more time then i expected :roll eyes:

But in Burgundy it's foggy since 2 weeks so...

jiott
11-25-2011, 11:28 AM
I am curious how many of you are running these Nanco, or any other brand, 21" tires tubeless and how many put tubes in them? It seems to me that for ease of repair out in the boonies it would be much easier to patch and reinflate a tire with a tube.

Jim

Dave F
11-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Tubeless here -- Let me tell you one thing -- you will not bust a bead in the boonies.......... unless you bring a bead breaker like my homemade one. http://www.cfisher.com/kingfox.html

I doubt that you gonna carry one........ If you do manage to break the bead by landing -- your Gear will likely be long gone with the broken bead --and likely bent longerons and much more.......... Seal up the rims with tire goop and you likey not gonna have any trouble -- I only used up to about 1200 lbs or so....... If you gota Tank model Kitfox that weights 700 to 1000 lbs empty better get a tougher tire .......

ATV wheels Are Super tough to break as you got a lip to stretch the inside of the bead over -- not just like a regualr bead break.......

Newkid
11-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Tubeless here too.