PDA

View Full Version : Motorav Brazilian engine

NotSoAmish
11-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Anyone seen this one at Airventure 2011? Magnesium alloy with independant heads.

NotSoAmish
11-10-2011, 09:27 AM
This is 90 HP and will have a turbo offered. If anyone has the contact for the US sales office for this please post it. I lost my details on this.

Mnflyer
11-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Looks like another remake of a VW engine.

NotSoAmish
11-10-2011, 12:21 PM
The VW engine block was run under a stress analysis by the University of Brazil and they changed the mold. Notice the enlarge front bearing holder on the half unit in the background. that is their half block compared to a normal VW block in the foreground.

rogerh12
11-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Very interesting, do they have a web site?

The front bearing is replaced with a larger insert on the larger cc VW conversions from Revmaster,aerovee and GP when using the standard block, so this looks like a great idea. Also, I noticed the heads have much more finn area, that must be how they can run so much power though it (can I just buy the heads?).

Regarding this engine, this is what I got off the Sonerai site from a fellow Sonerai builder, I guess he saw it at Oshkosh:

I talked to these guys a bit about this motor. The ports on the top are exhaust ports, intake on the bottom. The cam is different than VW because the ports are moved, valves switched around. The studs are on a wider circle to allow a larger margin for the studs at the head and the case. All the parts that are reinforced on the standard case by welding or deep studding are cast stronger with this one. The crank nose and case bearing are larger for prop loads. No provision for an oil cooler on top, full flow style oiling only.

I wouldn't call this a conversion, but it is undeniably VW based.

This engine has not been run as of Airventure '11.

I really loved the heads. I asked if they would be available separately, he said no, only available complete. I think this is a mistake on their part. If they just sold castings to retailers it would have a better chance at success.

Part of the lure of the VW is the interchangeable parts. Once you go to such lengths to make it proprietary, I feel you have really not thought it out well, and you have left the VW do-it-yourself community behind. The VW community really doesn't take well to expensive packages, because that just makes a rebuilt Continental or Lycoming much more practical, as mentioned above.....

PS their name is MOTORAV, and they have a more standard conversion also. I haven't been able to find a website.....

NotSoAmish
11-14-2011, 05:36 PM
The statement about welding is incorrect.
"All the parts that are reinforced on the standard case by welding or deep studding."

It is a recast block with all the high stress riser locations on the VW casting, that were identified through stress analysis were, corrected in the redesigned casting mold.

There are youtube vids of this engine in some low wing aircraft although I don't know when they were video captured.

Does anyone have the US sales location for this engine?

rogerh12
11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
This engine looks like it has some real possibilities, though the Sonerai guys were griping because it cost $10K (they are use to paying about ½ that for a VW). Heat dissipation in a VW is a big problem, looks like this thing has it solved though, what with the big fins and all.

I would like to have one, but these engine guys come and go all the time. It would have to be in production for several years before I would get one, I just don’t want to get stuck if the engine maker goes out of business.
Roger

NotSoAmish
11-15-2011, 03:54 AM
Yes. I agree that it would be good to wait a while. I know there is a US distributer somewhere in the south US but their main business is metal foundry and have this engine as a filler type business. It is worrysome that we could have cam issues and not have a source for this special cam or their special crank. I am about one to two years away from needing the engine. I am selling the new unused 582 we have for our plane to get a VW engine.

rogerh12
11-15-2011, 07:37 AM
I personally am installing the Great Plains Kitfox-4 VW firewall forward kit. It uses a special wider cowling and close fitting engine mount to adjust the CG (moves the engine closer to the firewall), but you do have to build your own larger firewall.

The other two Kitfox VWs installs I saw also used the underbelly Oil cooler, needed because the Kifox does not fly fast enough to use the typically GP top oil cooler. Also, shalllow pitching the prop to allow a 60-62 inch diameter prop is recommended for the kitfox (my sonerail used just a 54" diameter prop).

I a have the colwing, but not engine yet. I want to use the new 2273 cc engine with aluminum cylinders, and set it up for car gas, so it should make about 75-80 HP, which should be fine for a long wing 1200 lb gross plane like the model 4.

Here are the spec's from the one in St. Louis for sale on Barnstormers a while back.

N53RJ KitFox IV Speedster - VW powered:

Weights:
Basic Empty Weight = 700lbs
Max Weight = 1200lbs
Usefull Load = 500lbs
Fuel Capacity = 27 Gallons
Wing span = 28.8 ft.
Fuel Burn = 4 - 4.5 Gallons an hour
Cruise speed (economy setting) = 90 to 95 mph at 1500 feet (3000 rpm).
Cruise speed (high setting ) = 110 mph at 7500 msl.
Max speed (At full power) = 115 mph at 7500 msl.
Rate of Climb (two people) = 700 fpm
Rate of Climb (One ) = 1000 fpm
Take off roll at Gross Wt = 300 feet
Landing roll at Gross Wt = 300 feet
Stall speed (with vortex) = 37 mph
Approach speed = 60 mph

NotSoAmish
11-15-2011, 11:16 AM
So Great Plain is offering a firewall? I know I want the insulation blanketing on mine and i do not see tht for sale at KF. Where do you get the insulation?

rogerh12
11-16-2011, 06:36 PM
I think those fire/noise insulation blankets are just cut to fit. Perhaps that's a better question for the general discussion area.

Great plain has had the Kitfox fwf for several years now. I picked up the cowling at Oshkosh this year, that save freight shipping. The total cost of the cowling was about $500 I think. You could probably just make the engine mount from the picture in the catalog, it's not complex (if you are handy with a torch).

Roger

feamigo
06-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Motorav site: www.motorav.com (http://www.motorav.com)

NotSoAmish
06-04-2012, 03:56 AM
Feamigo,
Can someone post information on the fuel injection system?

NotSoAmish
06-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Thank You. I contacted Greg.

NotSoAmish
07-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Anyone seen this at any of the 2012 shows and have pics and weights of the H.P. options?

jetsrforkids
09-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Has anybody looked seriously into this engine yet for a Kitfox? It looks pretty interesting.