PDA

View Full Version : Rear fuse brace needed ?? Kitfox Tri-gear mod.

rogerh12
10-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Howdy guys;
While looking into the Wide body mod for the Kitfox-4-1200, I see another builder has a rear plate installed in his model 4 tri-gear (see picture). When I checked into it, it seems that at some time ago kitfox had builders install this plate when converting some models to a noise gear (it's not just a wide body mod thing).
Is this modification still needed on the Kitfox model-4-1200 with the factory Tri-gear mod, or was it more for the lower gross weight models or something? I hear other builders glassed in some plywood in this area as well.
Any history or ideas would help.

http://www.azshowersolutions.com/sitebuilder/images/Wide2-388x517.jpg

DesertFox4
10-31-2011, 12:12 PM
The rear reinforcement plate would not be needed if just adding a wide body kit with no intention of converting from the tail wheel configuration to a tri-gear.

The tubing in the area of the rear plate in your photo was increased in size and strength from the factory when the Classic 4 models were released making them convertible from tail wheel to nose gear. Obviously the front nose gear plate was also welded in from the factory on the Classic 4.

Yes , you are right. Some did bond in plywood in the same area to accomplish the same affect.

rogerh12
11-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Steve; Thanks for the info