PDA

View Full Version : GPS info including Frequencies

wheelerg
10-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Has anyone come across a GPS program or format that would allow you to obtain Tower Frequencies etc as you near them? I have been on POIFACTORY.COM and nothing on there.....not sure if something like that exists.

Thanks, Gary

ackselle
10-25-2011, 03:05 PM
The Garmin Aera units all tell you tower frequencies as you near them.

Cheers,
Ackselle

Rodney
10-26-2011, 10:39 AM
The IPAD with Foreflight + a bluetooth GPS unit works very well.

Foreflight is not the only IPAD program - there are several others available - but Foreflight is the only one I have flown.

I also need to admit that I have a Garmin 510 with XM weather - I find the combination of the two units provide me a wealth of information in the cockpit. I spend about $79 per year for the Foreflight - which I update monthly - I will update the Garmin probably on a two year cycle.

Supposedly - ADS-B will be available nation wide in 2013 ((I think that is correct)) When that happens, nexrad weather is going to be free with the appropriate receiver. If I were buying a unit today - I would want something that will be able to connect to an ADS-B receiver - when the time comes it will be more economical to make a one time purchase of the ADS-B receiver than pay the subscription for XM weather. Foreflight - and several other IPAD apps will connect to ADS-B receivers right now.

It's just something to consider.

I have not flown with an IFLY700, but several pilots I have talked to report very favorable results.

Regards
Rodney

enyaw
10-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Might look at Naviator for Android (been playing w/it on my Asus Transformer). Touch an airport on the map and one of the options that comes up is more information. Program subscription is $50/yr (Includes updates of sectionals, TACs, instrument charts, and Airport directory db)

kitfoxnick
10-27-2011, 04:06 AM
My Anywheremap Quatra has all the airport info at a touch of the screen. Airport info includes runway headings and length, pattern info, field elev. fuel prices, all freq from awos to approach to centers. When you land it will give you an airport diagram with your airplane on top so you will never miss a taxiway. It also shows all private airports even ones that don't appear on the sectionals. These units are $350 and work as avertised.

Av8r3400
10-27-2011, 05:21 AM
Gary- I have never seen a GPS, that was aviation oriented, that did not have at the very least, basic airport information (like frequencies and runway data) in it's database. Maybe some of the very early units 25+ years ago didn't, but everything made in the last 10 years has this information in it.

Paul Z
11-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Foreflight IPad app works extremely well. I used it on a cross country Dallas Tx to Wyers Cave Va and back. I even used the weather in flight.

wheelerg
11-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the info folks......i think i will go with the Aero500, i will be taking a look at one soon at the store Aviation World in Toronto.
Thanks again