PDA

View Full Version : Aileron rod hitting seat bottom – model 4 HELP !!!!

rogerh12
10-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Hey Guys, hope you can help me.

I just put the fiberglass seat into my Kitfox model 4-1200 and noticed the aileron actuator bar (that runs under the left seat) is dragging big time on the seat bottom. The seat bottom is flat, but does have a couple of raised sections running top to bottom under each seat. The bar is hitting this raised part of the left seat big time, (total interference). The bar is pre-bent from the factory to give clearance it seems, but still hits the seat. The plane left the factory in about 2001, if that means anything.

Any ideas what’s wrong? Do I need a new seat or to modify it in some way?

Thanks in advance.

Roger

akarmy
10-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Check that the bent rod is installed the correct way. Mine was rubbing too on a series 7 and it turns out you can flip the rod 180 deg by loosening the rod ends and twisting the bent rod over the other way. That gave me clearance. The path is not so much straight as dog legged when looking from above.

t j
10-23-2011, 05:32 AM
The instructions in my manual says to "Temporarily fit the seat to insure clearance of the control rods. You may bend the rods slightly if necessary."

I had to bend that rod a little to make it clear the seat. I just bent it over my knee. It seems most people have to bend those rods a little.

rogerh12
10-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the advise guys,

Also, I was thinking on my old model 2, there was some spacer made from plastic tubing between the seat top and the fuse tubes (the plastic wrapped around the fuse tubes and effectivly raised the seat a bit).

Is anyone else putting in spacers?
Roger

Av8r3400
10-23-2011, 12:37 PM
I put a wood block under the seat to help with this issue. Remember the seat pan will flex with weight on it, too.

rogerh12
10-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Ok, I got it to clear good.
I bent it a little more, mounted it at a bit of a dog-leg angle and put thin plastic tubing between the seat and fuse (which raised the seat a little and also protects the powerder coat from the fiber glass).

Lots of clearance now ...

Thanks to all !!!!

Roger