PDA

View Full Version : Ready for WINTER??

kitfox2009
10-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Hello

Although it is still quite mild here in SW Canada (0C overnight and +15 daytime) I decided to get ready for the cooler temps before they arrive.
I installed a "Thermo-Bob" bypassing 180 degree thermostat,changed out the coolant, adjusted the carb needle valve rings down one notch, and syncronized the carbs. (912UL)
Flew 5 hours around the valley and mountains on the weekend. It was probably a bit below freezing above 5000 feet but the water stayed constantly at 180 degrees, oil between 185 and 220 depending on load (no tape), mag drop less than 100rpm and smooth running down to 1500 rpm on short final.
It really makes a difference to enrich the fuel mixture as temps cool down.
So far I am quite impressed with this thermostat. Noticeably faster warmups.
I suppose I should take some pics sometime. Very nice this time of year with the lakes, mountains, vineyards and orchards. Even a bit of snow on the peaks above 6500.
Cheers
(spoiled rotten from the sunny Okanagan)

Paul Z
10-24-2011, 08:16 PM
It is not late December yet, still a lot of flying time before winter. I hope I can get my annual done during the hard 3 weeks of Winter we have here in Texas! ;)

Marshawk
10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi Don ,and if your ever passing 100 Mile House let me know.I am interested in your thermostat. I have been looking for an inline thermostat with by pass so I can get some heat into the cabin this winter.Were did you get yours and how much was it?

Thanks Willis

kitfox2009
10-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Hello Willis

Just "Google" Thermo-Bob thermostats and all the info comes up. I ordered it directly them and it was in the mail the next day. Seems to take a while getting mail across the line now but they don`t seem to even collect HST on these smaller items. I think the price was about $140 including a spare thermostat. So far it works great. Hopefully I might get by with just a couple of strips of tape on the oil cooler this winter!!

Cheers

Don

kmach
10-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Hi All,
I just received and installed yesterday the inline thermostat sold by highwing. It has a bypass hole drilled into the actual 180 deg F thermostat . I installed it below the cabin heater "T" fitting so I believe the heater circuit will act as a bypass as well. I have as of yet not been able to do a ground runup to get some numbers, I hope the weather will cooperate today , but it looks doubtfull !

kmach
11-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi,
preliminary test flight with the Highwing inline 180 F thermosat for the coolant , produced steady coolant temps of 172 F . ( dynon D120)

this is taken from rotax coolant sensor fitting, located just above the thermostat , the thermostat is located six inches above the radiator "IN" connection.

The cabin heater "T" is above(before) both off these and heater was circulating and heater fan on for most of the flight. Outside temps right around the freezing mark. nice and cozy in the cockpit.

We'll see what it does when it gets colder.