PDA

View Full Version : Fuselage side stringers

Jorge&Cindy
12-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Can someone post a photo of how the side stringers are done at the forward end by the doors. In the drawings first it looks like they are tucked in between the frame tubes, then it appears they just bond to the door frame and are outside the fuselage tubes. I'm really confused. Sometimes what seems simple takes the longest.

Dave S
12-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Jorge,

I have attached three photos of how I terminated the forward end of the side stringer (might need to magnify the photo to see the detail). 1 is the cut parts in place, 2 is the riveted/bonded joint - and 3 is what it looks like after the fabric is attached. Basically it is tucked behind the rear edge of the joggle door frame and riveted (1 SS rivet)/bonded. You want to remember that the fabric will lay on top of this and the better/smoother the profile - the happier you will be with the end result after the fabric is in place. Also - the joint has to be secure - the fabric puts a substantial force on the stringer & door frame after tightening so you want the joint to be strong - do a decent job of riveting and bonding. A person wants to be sure that the position is such that the line which will be formed by stringer behind the fabric matches the crease in the door panel.

I have no idea if I actually did this the way most do;), or not; however, it holds and the covering is smooth:cool:.

Sincerely,

Dave S
Kitfox 7 Trigear

wrm38
12-28-2008, 06:02 PM
I hope this helps. Bill

Jorge&Cindy
12-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys, I think I got it now.

Jorge&Cindy
01-01-2009, 01:09 PM
No, I don't got it. I've been pulling what little hair I have left trying to figure out the angle where the vertical door frame meets the one angled below it. Any photos will save the rest of my hair. Also, it says on the instructions for the small forward fabric attach angle to joggle it outward to compensate for the thickness of the cowl. I don't have my cowl yet, how far do I joggle it?

jdmcbean
01-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Jorge,

Don't pull too hard.. this is a difficult area to do as well as explain with a 2D drawing. Go to the photo albums.. I tried uploading to this thread but wasn't having any luck getting them posted. Hope these help. Support - Door Angles.

Jorge&Cindy
01-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey John, thanks for the photos. I must have been in the garage working when you posted your photos. I did my own version, still need a little fine tuning. Close enough for govt. work.