PDA

View Full Version : IVO Problem

Barfbag
10-09-2011, 06:18 AM
I've been having an issue with my IVO Medium lately and not being very familiar with the design, I thought I'd ask the members for some help.

When toggling the pitch control on the ground, I can hear the prop trying to change pitch but then the circuit breaker pops. This happens in either direction. When I switch it over to auto, I can hear the prop clicking every few seconds as it is trying to change pitch but it is definitely not moving. The CB does not pop when I have it in auto. This same scenario occurs in flight.

My call to the IVO company last week was unproductive. They just said that it sounds like an electrical problem (duh!!!) and for me to remove the prop and send in the hub for repairs.

Thanks for any replies.

Len S.

Series 5/ Jabiru 3300

SkySteve
10-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Sounds like good advice.

kitfox2009
10-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi Len

I have the IVO 70" Ultralight IFA and just recently at 100 hours the prop just stopped pitch changing. The electric motor operated as it should in both directions but no resistance or blade movement.

I contacted IVO and they suggested I remove the drive unit and send in back for repair.( Apparently they charge parts only, no labor). Because I live in Canada and with new border regulations and Homeland Security rules it seems to take 3 or 4 weeks to get through,the flying weather was great, so I just kept flying (the prop was stuck fairly coarse) and ordered the ground adjustable plate.

After the plate arrived I removed the drive unit and dismantled it. A center gear on the planetary carrier was wore out, allowing the gears to slip. Ordered the parts (less than $20) and installed them myself. Works fine.

There are a number of very small parts in these planetary drives ( yours should be larger) but if they jammed up it may cause the motor to stall and trip the breaker.

As a result I am preparing to have a few spare parts available around the 100 hour mark just in case this may be the expected useful life. I would be interested to hear from others who may have had a similiar experience. I really like the IFA feature and do not want to go back to ground adjustable, I am prepared to bank about $1 per hour in the "prop account" to have the joys of IFA!

I realize this was a long story but if the medium is similar construction it may help you diagnose the problem.

Cheers

Don

kmach
10-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi ,

I just finished installing the IFA conversion today, minutes ago, on my Ivo medium "ex" GA . I followed the instructions to the letter, although I was really fighting the supplied and suggested wire lengths (12' )running to everything . I contacted Ivo on maybe shortening the wire lengths but they stressed to keep them 12' or else the breaker will trip very easily.

If the breaker was just tripping I would think this wire length requirement might be the cause of your problem, but I think Don might be on the right track, with the planetary gears.

herman pahls
10-09-2011, 09:31 PM
I recently traded for a used Ivo light with the IFAdjust feature.
I was told the IFA no longer worked.
I found that the tiny walnut sized electric motor no longer worked.
Ivo told me my IFA was an out of date design and that for $340. they would replace with the current design including required longer spinner.
Even the new design seems to have a high failure rate.
I question how much of this failure is due to normal wear or over stressing the system.
I have not seen the original install instructions so am not aware of the operating limitations.
One owner said he had 3 failures and blamed the failures on using a course pitched ultralight prop that required too much twisting torque to reach the reduced take-off pitch needed.
If these Ivo systems do not have limit switches, what keeps the gears and motor from being over loaded if the switch is accidentally held too long in either direction when the engine is not running?
Is the breaker supposed to prevent this from happening?
Does one have to do a full power run up at each take-off to make sure you have the correct pitch for proper take off RPM?
These are non issues when flying with a conventional constant speed prop.

Herman

jrevens
10-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Kevin,

I don't know what IVO could possibly be talking about, as shortening wire runs can only result in LOWER resistance and LOWER current draw (if anything the breaker would have less of a tendency to trip), but probably would not even be measurable unless the wire size was marginally small for the load to begin with. Does the wire come with factory installed connectors on the end? If so, maybe they have had problems with people doing poor installs on new connectors after cutting wires.

kmach
10-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi,

I talked with the factory to verify the wire lengths, and yes they come with connectors on , not anything elaborate for connectors just flat blade 1/4" crimpers. Instructions are in bold not to shorten the 12' wires or the circuit breaker will trip sooner. I even asked about other brands of circuit breakers, I would of liked to keep all the same , but they recommend only the breaker they supply. So I followed directions with the hope of trouble free use

kitfox2009
10-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi guys

My ultralight also came with instructions NOT to shorten the wires. I just coiled them up and connected directly to the battery. In over 100 hours I have never had the breaker pop.I also did not install the limit washers. It does not take long to figure out how to operate the prop without over speeding or lugging the engine. In my case I just wish the planetary parts lasted a bit longer. Maybe the next ones will!
Don

HighWing
10-12-2011, 07:35 AM
[quote=jrevens;18956]Kevin,

I don't know what IVO could possibly be talking about, as shortening wire runs can only result in LOWER resistance and LOWER current draw

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Ohms law state that with constant voltage lower resistance results in higher current draw as in brighter (hotter) lights.

Lowell

DanB
10-12-2011, 08:11 AM
E/IR
Correct on the second sentence...a lower resistance (R) will increase current (I) which I believe would not be wanted.

jrevens
10-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Thank you Lowell & Dan... you're absolutely right of course, & thanks for correcting me. That'll teach me to use my keyboard before engaging my brain! The situation still seems rather odd however - it would seem to be very unusual that the wire size & length would be so critical. The wire size & length would usually be selected as to not create any appreciable voltage drop to a device like a motor. I guess that IVO may be limiting the voltage to something less than battery voltage with this wire. It's interesting.

Slyfox
10-12-2011, 09:48 AM
here's a thought for ya. Just remove the spinner and pull the wires out for the motor, apply 12 volts and see what happens. If it still has a problem than send the motor to IVO. When you get it back and fly again take and only adjust the prop after pulling power off momentarly for prop changes, I bet your motor last longer.

DanB
10-12-2011, 11:18 AM
[quote=DanB;18987]

The situation still seems rather odd however - it would seem to be very unusual that the wire size & length would be so critical. The wire size & length would usually be selected as to not create any appreciable voltage drop to a device like a motor. I guess that IVO may be limiting the voltage to something less than battery voltage with this wire. It's interesting.

John, I agree with your statement of wire length not being so critical.
I have not seen the IVO instructions indicating that the wire should be left coiled up...but my hunch is that it would not be for maintaining the resistance. That would be somewhat of a goofy way to design a circuit (that's why god made resistors) ;)

As an example, using 10 AWG would take about 1000' to generate only 1 Ohm. I'm betting the wire in the kit is in the ball park of 20 AWG which would be close to needing 2000' to cough up 1 ohm. I don't buy the wire length being a factor. My guess is a short somewhere. if not external then internal which leads back to IVO's request to send it in for repair.

Slyfox
10-12-2011, 11:23 AM
wire length and the use of their circuit braker makes it so you don't damage the motor(so to say). I had this conversation with the guy at IVO. Also you better use their rubber washer inside where the cam stops on both ends, this will also blow the gears. My cure is to watch how it hits the ends and keeps running, will kill the gears, I never wait for the circuit braker to trip. I count and most reciently I use rpm to know where to set for landing. Mine is pull off power to about 4400 and than fine pitch to about 5200 and I am set, usually a count of 3 when doing this. I don't have my prop fixed for a stop for fine pitch it can go beyond that, why, I want my gears to last.

kmach
10-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi,
The Ivo wire is 16 gauge and all lengths are 12' ,except between the two way switch to breaker is 6". I coiled and mounted excess wire under the panel out of the way. preliminary ground test( not running ) everything works with no breaker tripping.:) I hope to try ground runups this weekend.

kitfox2009
10-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi Keven
Good luck with it. I bet you never want to go back to a ground adjustable again!
Cheers
Don

DAT
10-18-2011, 11:20 AM
I hope I'm not jumping the thread. What paper work is necessary for the installation of the IVO IFA prop? Does the plane have to be re-certified or just make a logbook entry?

Thanks

DAT

av8rps
10-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi,
The Ivo wire is 16 gauge and all lengths are 12' ,except between the two way switch to breaker is 6". I coiled and mounted excess wire under the panel out of the way. preliminary ground test( not running ) everything works with no breaker tripping.:) I hope to try ground runups this weekend.

It is very interesting to read how many IVO IFA guys will experience not having the breaker trip, when mine trips quite easily. And fwiw, I like it tripping easily as then I know it is at the end of its limits and voltage isn't trying to torque the motor when it is already done. I have had great luck with my IVO IFA now for more than 400 hours without any mechanical failures, so maybe that breaker tripping is removing a lot of stress from the motor and gears?

And while I think it is a good idea to follow IVO's instructions regarding the limit washers and wire lengths, I do not believe those washers will do much of anything to cushion the overtorquing that occurs when the motor is at the end of its limits or range, but the power is still applied to the motor. I'd rather see the breaker blow early so you aren't overstressing the motor and gears.

Anyhow, I thought I would share with the group how mine operates since I've had really good luck with it.