PDA

View Full Version : MEK question

Jorge&Cindy
12-22-2008, 11:22 PM
I used Sherwin Williams 988 self etching primer on the inboard ends of the wing spars to protect the cut ends(bought quickbuild, pre-rigged wings) while I work on everything else. I know MEK will take the primer off easily, but somewhere I read that it takes a couple of days for the MEK to completely evaporate after it's wiped off. Is this right or am I imagining things? I'm just concerned about the Hysol adhereing to this area when I attach the spar doublers.

Skybolt
12-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi Jorge and Cindy.

MEK is a really quick evaporating solvent. Because of this, mare metal could become very cold...feel it sometime, hold your hand under a piece of bare aluminum and then wipe some MEK on the oposite surface. You will feel the temperature drop.
This temperature shange will attract moisture in the air. As soon as the temperature stabilizes= no more water accumulation.
If you are concerned about dampness, use a heat gun to warm the object. Warm it but not get it hot before coating or gluing.

Besides all that. If you wipe anything with a solvent, wipe it dry before it evaporates and then one more time before coating or gluing.

The first wipe is to remove any contaminants that you desolved with the solvent before the solvent evaporates and leave the contaminant behind.
The second wipe is to remove any dust.
Use perfectly clean towels for this.

Think about it...for the MEK to completely evaporate after it's wiped off. Is this right or am I imagining things?
If you wipe it off, what is left of the MEK to evaporate?

Eric.