PDA

View Full Version : Prop for an O-200

MotReklaw
09-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Getting ready to buy a prop for our KFSS O-200 engine. I'm leaning toward Warp, but wanted to see what others are using and approximate cost.

Danny
09-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Went with a Whirlwind ground adjustable, 2-blade Prop on my 0-200, Supersport. Don't remember the cost, but it was a little cheaper than the Sensenich. Still in phase 1 & tinkering with the pitch, but so far, no complaints. Does take a little more effort to adjust the pitch than the Sensenich.

MotReklaw
09-27-2011, 05:34 AM
Thanks Danny, I will check it out.

SaintAero
09-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Tommy, I have been using a McCauley from a C150 which is a 55" pitch. This is definitely a climb prop since I usually see about 2600 RPM when climbing at 60 KIAS. I can too easily get to redline in cruise at 8000' and have to close the throttle some to avoid redline. With this prop, no wheel fairings, no strut fairings, I just don't use my KF for long cross country flights. - Don

MotReklaw
09-30-2011, 11:31 AM
I had a chance to buy a McCauley like that a couple of weeks ago on Barnstormers, but I know very little about what I need and size I just let it pass.
If you were buying a new or used prop today what would you buy?

SaintAero
10-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Tommy, I am fortunate to have a second aircraft for my cross country trips. My Glasair II is comfortable, efficient and fast. I enjoy the Kitfox for low and slow flights and chasin' buzzards.
Seems like a ground adjustable prop gives you the flexibility to optimize the performance to your mission. Many others on this forum have much more experience with the various props. John McBean is experimenting with the new Lycoming and its optimum prop configuration. Benefits of the C150 McCauley are low cost (you could probably even borrow one for a while) and conducting phase 1 flight tests with a certified engine/prop combination for 25 hours. Let us know how it goes. - Don

Danny
10-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Weight was a major factor for me going with a composite prop. Did not want the possibility of having to add weight in the tail section to overcome the added weight of a heavy metal prop. Did you have any w/b problems with the mcauley, Don?

ken nougaret
10-17-2011, 09:59 AM
i will anxiously await to hear what you go with tommy. i still have the mccauly prop that came off the 150 i robbed my engine from. but i feel it is too heavy. and unlike saintaero i would like a little more cruise speed.
ken nougaret (100+ hrs into ss build)

MotReklaw
10-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Warp Drive quoted me a 68 inch three-blade prop.

I found a Warp prop that is like new, but it is 65 inch. It was intended for an
O-200/Tailwind. I would assume that a fast plane like the tailwind could use a shorter prop.

Anyone know the difference? Anyone running a 65 inch three blade prop on a KF 5-7?

Many thanks

SaintAero
11-06-2011, 07:13 AM
My empty weight is 850 lbs with a moment of 7663 in-lbs (15% MAC). This seems fine when using flaperons at 15 deg. I run out of trim when flying single pilot, low fuel and no baggage. During phase 1 flight test at aft CG (25% MAC), I was able to use full (20 deg) flaperons and remove elevator pressure with trim.

A lighter weight prop may improve trim capability when using full flaperons.
My normal procedure is landing with 15 deg flaperons using full nose-up trim at 60 KIAS for wheel landings. I usually add aft stick pressure for a three-point landing at 50 KIAS.