PDA

View Full Version : Hysol and Bondo

Jorge&Cindy
12-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Try as I might, I could not achieve a "pleasant" shape on my HS/elevator and VS/rudder tips. . They came out a little bumpy and wavey. My question is , does Bond body filler stick to Hysol and will it affect anything when ii comes time to cover them?

darinh
12-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Jorge,

If you rough the Hysol, body filler will work just fine. How do I know?...Well, that is what I used. and the tips come our perfect. The problem with filler is that it is relatively heavy so look for the ultra-light stuff. Also, I initially worried about the filler cracking as it is notorious for but the fabric holds everything in place nicely and keeps the filler from cracking.

DanB
12-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Try as I might, I could not achieve a "pleasant" shape on my HS/elevator and VS/rudder tips. . They came out a little bumpy and wavey. My question is , does Bond body filler stick to Hysol and will it affect anything when ii comes time to cover them?

Hi Jorge,
A better choice than bondo will be Super Fil. It is designed to work well with the Poly Fiber products (no chemical reactions) and is considerably lighter than bondo. It is an epoxy, very strong, and sands easy. I think John may have it or will know where to get it. I would rough up the Hysol as mentioned above. This is how I used it and enjoyed the way it worked:
http://www.azshowersolutions.com/Vertical_Stab9.html

Seasons Greetings!

Joepthepilot
12-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Use super fil. Bondo is too heavy! Joe

Jorge&Cindy
12-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys.

darinh
12-21-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't have any experience with superfil but I was too impatient to wait for it to cure. I ended up doing at least 3 layers on each tip with sanding between to get them perfect...with superfil this would have translated to a minimum of 3 days. So if saving a couple ounces is worth a couple days then use superfil. Having said all this, I will not argue that an epoxy-based system would be a superior choice to bondo but to answer your original question...yes bondo will work great, just use the lightweight stuff. And there is absolutely no issues with compatibility with the polyfiber cements or paints.

n85ae
12-22-2008, 11:59 AM
If you don't use a gallon of Bondo, then weight is not an issue. If you
are really worried, then cut back on the french fries at lunch.

Regards,
Jeff