PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatics

Esser
09-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Does anyone besides the late Jimmy Franklin actually fly aerobatics in their Kitfox? Anyone with a model 7? If so what manuvers do you do?

jtpitkin06
09-18-2011, 08:20 AM
This subject pops up for almost every experimental ever built.
In a factual sense, you can do aerobatics in almost any airplane… within limits. It just depends on what you are doing. Tex Johnson rolled the Dash 80 (B-707) without harming or endangering the aircraft.
Jimmy Franklin did a great routine with a Kitfox Speedster and probably never exceeded 3 G’s. If you watch the videos of his show, all of the maneuvers are done smoothly with low G’s. It’s just how he did the turns and wingovers at low altitude that made it look exciting. [That video also should remove all doubt about spin capability in a Kitfox. He did a 2 turn spin and recovery from about 500 feet with room to spare.]
But it really boils down to this: The Kitfox is not designed as an unlimited aerobatic aircraft and should be treated as such.
I would have no qualms about including spins and barrel rolls as part of your certification of a Kitfox as they are low G maneuvers. The problem is when non-aerobatic pilots attempt maneuvers without training and they come screaming out of a roll with a high G split S. That’s when you end up with bent airframes or a smoking hole. In addition, in the USA, you have to add parachutes for all aerobatic maneuvers (except spins with a flight instructor or ATP). Most folks find the parachutes to be very uncomfortable for cruising around just to do an occasional roll. Also, the parachutes have to be repacked and certified every 120 days.
So it’s probably best to assume the Kitfox is not an aerobatic aircraft and just use it for what it was designed. The Kitfox is a great sport aircraft and great STOL aircraft. For going low and slow and all around aviation fun, it can’t be beat.
I will certify my Kitfox to include spins because I often get requests from pilots who have never spun an aircraft and my Cardinal is not certified for the maneuver. But other than that, I’ll keep the blue side up and fly it as designed.

John Pitkin

Esser
09-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Im aware that the kitfox is not aerobatic and the issues of high g manuvers and as well as the requirements. I more was just curious if any one uses their kitfox for light aerobatics on a regular occasion. I have a friend who owns a Pitts S2C and a Giles 202 so if I feel the need for hard acro I have an outlet with him. That being said I would love to do Sunday aerobatics. I know the kitfox is capable of light positive g maneuvers. I was more curious about others doing it. But thank you for the well thought out reply. Hopefully it will answer some questions for some one down the road.

jrevens
09-18-2011, 12:20 PM
I could be wrong (happens frequently), but I believe the regs require a parachute only if you have a passenger onboard an experimental licensed airplane.

jtpitkin06
09-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Doesn't have to be experimental. You can do wifferdills all day long in your Citabria without a parachute if you are not carrying a passenger. If you do have a passenger, then both must have chutes.

I did err on the repack. it's 180 days, now, for synthetic materials.