PDA

View Full Version : Extra spending cash/gas money

Geowitz
09-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Just trying to get some more creative juices flowing...

I know this seems to be more or less prohibited by the FAR's, BUT has anyone brainstormed some creative ways to legally(or arguably legally)make money in an experimental amateur built plane like the Kitfox?

akflyer
09-15-2011, 11:56 AM
I think it's alot more to the more side than less.. I cant think of anything you can do with an EAB to make money that would pass the grin test... as in, you could try to argue it without grinning like a sheepish idiot cause you know your argument holds no water.

szicree
09-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Aerial photography. You're charging for the photos, not the flight.

Esser
09-15-2011, 04:16 PM
In Canada they have that locked up tight: The airplane was used to take photos that are made for profit therefore it is illegal

akflyer
09-15-2011, 04:50 PM
It's also locked up tight here in the US. Dont think that it has not been tried before, and the results were less than stellar....

szicree
09-15-2011, 05:18 PM
I understand the certificate says "for education and recreation" and the FAR's say:

1. The aircraft cannot be used for purposes other than it was certified for.
2. The aircraft cannot carry persons or property for hire.

Now I can agree that taking photos for money or skywriting is not necessarily education or recreation, but neither is flying to another city for a work related purpose and people do that all the time in EAB aircraft.

Do you have specific examples where the FAA has come down on a pilot for violating 1?

Esser
09-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Flying to a city for business you are not making money directly related to the flight as you could have driven etc. Photography you NEED the plane for those angles. Either way you can do what ever you want but up here it's pretty cut and clear. Not worth it in my mind. But people do it. Either way your insurance would be void if they could prove it which means it might end up costing you a lot more money than you made if an accident ever happend. Pretty rare but it is an option to look at too.

Geowitz
09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm not really pushing for this as I've already figured it's pretty cut and dry, but just trying to get some viewpoints. Interesting discussion so far.

szicree
09-15-2011, 08:26 PM
The FAR's do not prohibit making money, they prohibit using the plane for purposes other than recreation and education. Flying to visit my mother-in-law is neither.

akflyer
09-16-2011, 08:27 AM
hahaha, just made me spit coffee all over my keyboard!

SkyPirate
09-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I think if someone were to take say a model 4 speedster,..decked out to the hilt with a flawless paint job/scheme that reflected a touch of nostalgia,..sitting in a grass field with a lets say a Ford Cobra 427,..original colors ,..(but can also be "built" from a kit),.. each posed in a manner that exposes the "good side" for the camera,..would make an awesome calendar with of course some georgous looking bikini wearing good ole merican babe ( {"built" as well ,..although finding the blueprints might be a challenge) trying to win the attention of the viewers ( of course we know the kitfox would win hands down!!! right? lol )
that would be one way to make money with the kitfox that I don't believe the FAA would have any control over.

PS ,..lets go all american and have her posing on a harley parked in the middle?

the best of all worlds,..viewer discretion on the car girl and harley lol

Geowitz
09-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Now THAT'S creative. Gold star for you.

SkyPirate
09-16-2011, 01:15 PM
lol George ,..I actually talked to John and the guys at "factory5" about them hooking up to do a kitfox/cobra calendar,..don't know if they followed thru,..but it would be an awesome calendar

Chase

SkyPirate
09-16-2011, 01:32 PM
here is an idea for you George,.it wouldn't be too expensive to set up but,..a fire exstinguisher bracket that exacuated the fire retardant from the cabin of an aircraft ,..or truck,..or any enclosed small area where a person would be to the outside ,..the bracket would have to have a nozzle recepticle that didnt hinder removal of the extinguisher for quick use ,..that had a hose connected to it that exited the cabin area,.. more then once there has been the accidental kick or bump of a fire extinguisher that tripped the dang thing off when it wasnt needed,..and what a mess to clean up ,..I won't tell you how I know lol

once you figure it out ,..get a provisional and build as many as you can for the life of the provisional,..1 year ,..cheapest form of "patent pending" going ,,about $400.00 because you know someone is going to copy it eventually