PDA

View Full Version : Northeast fly-in take 2

Dorsal
09-11-2011, 06:22 PM
So tentatively we are looking at next weekend 17/18. CDE will make a final call Tuesday based on conditions around 4N7. Hopefully things dry out a bit and we get another weekend like this one.

We are good to go, same plan as last week. Please chime in or send a pm to me or CDE if you think you might make it.
Come for the day or overnight, hope to see some of you there.

CDE2FLY
09-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Looks like the weather will be perfect for an early fall fly-in this weekend. The Greene airport is in great shape and was spared any damage from the recent flood. Binghamton has areas of substantial damage but most roads are back open and business are returning to normal. For those planning on overnight camping, I've got plenty of room at my house (10 minutes from the airport) and can provide transportation between the airport, my place, local restaurants, etc. For those wanting to stay in a hotel, I suggest calling ahead…there are numerous options in the Binghamton area but not sure what the availability is based on both flood damage and rooms booked by contractors.
To recap the plans for the weekend:
Saturday:
· 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM - Arrive at the Greene Airport (4N7). I’ll have lunch (hotdogs, chips, drinks, etc.) on the field.

· 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM – General Kitfox discussions/idea exchange, cool mods, hints, tips, hops around the pattern for those interested in some stick time in a particular model, etc.

· 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM – Afternoon fly out….planning on heading to Skyhaven Airport (76N)…lots of neat airplanes and generally some Stinson restoration activities underway….30 to 40 minute flight from Greene.

· 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM – Dinner back in Greene at a local restaurant…again, I can take care of getting folks around.

· 7:00 till?? - Set up camp, bon fire, snacks, etc. at my place.
Sunday:
8:00 AM - depart Greene airport for White Birch Airport (15 – 20 minute flight) for fly in breakfast. Grass strip tucked into the rolling hills….great views and great food. Following breakfast, we’ll head back to our respective home bases.
Let me know if you’re planning to join us so I can plan accordingly for food, transportation, etc.
Should be a great time and I’m looking forwarded to meeting some fellow Kitfoxers!

series7
09-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I plan to fly up from Marietta Ohio. There will be two people in one plane. I could not find a room so we will be camping.
Ken Robinson

kl2657
09-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Unfortunately, I'm out for this weekend. I have Army National Guard duty.

CDE2FLY
09-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Glad you can make it Ken...looking forward to meeting you!

kitfoxnick
09-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm trying hard to make it me and one of my kids. I plan to get there Sat mid day and do the camping thing.

Dorsal
09-14-2011, 06:04 AM
Based on some PMs and a few from the Matt list looks like we have a nice group forming (plenty of room for more though). For those that are still building and may want to fly out in something not approved for grass fields (rental?) I am happy to provide ferry flights from/to N23 or BGM.
Keep in mind this is a bi-partisan event organized by members of both major political parties, tail dragger and tricycle gear

DanB
09-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Love it Dorsal...good one

GT280flyer
09-15-2011, 02:45 AM
Hope to drive down Saturday morning. Looking forward to seeing a gaggle of kitfoxes.
Still building, Kitfox lll w/ four wing.

CDE2FLY
09-15-2011, 06:54 PM
The area weather forecast looks great for this weekend....what a difference a week and a half can make!

We'll need to change the venue for Sunday breakfest since White Birch is apparently out of comission due to the floods. Thinking about a flight to Cooperstown Saturday afternoon then Skyhaven on Sunday morning for their fly-in breakfest.

Also note, there is no Avgas at Greene and Tri-Cities is likely out of comission (runway under water last week). Best bet is Sidney 20 miles east of Greene or Binghamton Regional (Delta Class) 12 miles to the south west.

Safe travels for those coming in....feel free to contact me (315-409-6579) if you have any questions or want to chat about logistics.

SkyPirate
09-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Hope it's going well for you guys up there in the north east,..must be having tons of fun because no one has posted any photos yet

dholly
09-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Lots of fun on Sat., always nice to meet and put faces to the names. Can only upload a dozen pics at a time so here are a few teaser pics. I'm sure many more pics to follow from those who were able to stay over and fly today. Thanks Chris and Finn!

Pic Desc.

- Wheels up from D38, passing north end of Cayuga Lake en route to breakfast at B16 Whitford Field.

- Watching the early morning tandem jumps waiting for the ceiling at 4N7 Greene to burn off.

- Group of (2) Jabiru 2200 powered Model 4-1200 'Foxes headed south to Greene along Skaneateles Lake, NY.

- Eight beautiful Kitfox's sitting pretty on the field at Greene, NY after a nice little picnic.

- Some early afternoon flights around the patch, plenty of Kitfox talk and big grins all around.

SkyPirate
09-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Awesome~! looks like ya'll had plenty to do,.. some fine looking fox's~!

Dorsal
09-19-2011, 05:22 AM
Lots of fun, definitely an annual event in the making, big thanks to CDE for being such an accommodating host. We had a beautiful smooth flight home flying well above the sheep (kinda bumpy down low). Hope everyone else had a good return trip, great to meet Fox flyers face to face.
More next year.

John/Deb, how many planes do we need to get a rep from the factory to come out?

CDE2FLY
09-19-2011, 02:17 PM
A fun time for sure! Thanks to everyone for flying in and making the first annual Kitfox Fly-in such a success. We had nearly perfect weather for flying, checking out planes, playing with various gadgets (thanks for binging the dynaVibe and carb mate Finn!) and a picnic (thanks to my lovely wife Pam!). I got to fly Finn's airplane and check out his slick autopilot setup (Dynon servos and Dynon EFIS....excellent tracking with little to no additional stick force from the servos) and gave a ride to a local 9 year old who's been taking flying lessons. Based on the grin he was wearing, I think John and Deb have a future customer!

DesertFox4
09-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Happy your weather worked out and you guys had a great time. . Nice air to air photos of some very nice northeastern Kitfoxs.

GT280flyer
09-20-2011, 02:34 AM
First I want to thank Finn for the ride in the right seat. Had a great time looking at foxes and talking to pilots. It is a great way to keep the building enthusiasm up and going. Hope this is an annual fly in and hope to fly down next time.
Tim, building model lll