PDA

View Full Version : rudder pedal torque tube assembly

ken nougaret
09-10-2011, 06:02 PM
hi all,
i've mounted the rudder pedal torque tube assembly in my ss. it mounts with 8 screws and locknuts(in channels). but then i started thinking, what if in the future after the plane is covered, i need to remove that assembly for some reason. wouldn't you have to remove the covering under the front of the fuselage to get a 3/8 wrench on those nuts? so i was wondering if i should rivet nutplates in those channels in place of the locknuts; and would this be an acceptable substitute in the eyes of the faa?(i don't see why it wouldn't)
has anyone else given this any thought?
thanks, ken nougaret (zephyrhills,fl) about 2 months and 100 hrs into build

jtpitkin06
09-10-2011, 06:14 PM
The area under the rudder pedals does not get fabric covering. It is covered by a stainless steel plate that is part of the firewall package.

The plate is removable for inspections.

JP

Dorsal
09-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Is that a separate piece on the SS? On my 7 the firewall is all one part including under the fuselage.

jtpitkin06
09-10-2011, 08:54 PM
My firewall kit included a separate piece of 0.064 SS to cover the rudder pedal bolts. As there have been several subtle changes in the kit from time to time so your model may be slightly different.

I like the removable feature for inspection.

John Pitkin

ken nougaret
09-11-2011, 01:30 AM
thanks, i guess i didn't look far enough ahead. haven't started the firewall yet but looking forward to it.
ken

FoxDB
09-11-2011, 07:56 AM
On my model 1 after my new gear was installed I used clip nuts
to hold on the stick tube for that reason prior to recovering that area.