PDA

View Full Version : Composite leading edge

Esser
09-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I've heard talk of this but I can't find it on the kitfox website. Does anyone know how much this option is and I am assuming you don't need the false ribs if you go this route?
Thanks

mongocanfly
09-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Its in the kitfox catalog on page 57 and costs about $1000.00 but looks great when installed but still has the false ribs for support.

Esser
09-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks a bunch

jamesmil
09-09-2011, 04:58 PM
look back in this thread under false rib kit there are some very good pic,s showing the wing with just the false rib kit after covering and with the composite leading edge with false rib kit.

Esser
09-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the tip of where to look. I guess my next question is. Is it worth 1000 bucks

jamesmil
09-12-2011, 07:20 AM
hi esser, in response to the question is the composite leading edge option worth the cost i would have to say that is up to each individual to decide. to me the pros out weighed the cons. i dont think that it adds any more labor to the build it looks to me to be about a wash but i cant say for sure as this is my first kitfox build. i do think the looks are worth something but also i would think that if you wanted to use v/g, they wou

ld perform better, just my opinion i have nothing to base that on.
also i am sure they will add to the resale value of the airplane.:)

jiott
09-12-2011, 01:44 PM
In talking to John McB about the pros and cons of the new leading edge, he made some interesting comments:
The standard leading edge seemed to benefit very little if any from the addition of VG's. The thinking was that the humps and bumps of the ribs & false ribs on the standard leading edge acted somewhat like built-in VG's. The new composite leading edge may eliminate this affect, but could add performance of its own.
Personally, I'm waiting for some side by side factory test results of new vs standard leading edge performance before committing to $1000. The factory intends to do this at some point I beleive.

Jim

Esser
09-12-2011, 02:51 PM
I am assuming that you need to install the leading edge before covering. Or am I mistaken?

jamesmil
09-12-2011, 04:01 PM
yes it must go on before covering, john mcbean hase a 1 page instruction he emailed me that was very helpful.

chefwarthog
09-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Do we have to stitch thouth the leading edge?
:rolleyes:

jamesmil
09-12-2011, 04:53 PM
i didn't rib stich thru the l/e. i treated the l/g as the same as the gas tanks as far as covering. we droped back 1" from the l/e at the top to start the rib stiching and used that spacing top and bottom.

sorry i left out that the l/g is hysoled to the ribs and false ribs so no need to stich thru it.:o

chefwarthog
09-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Ok thank's for the hit!!

Mark
09-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Here are a couple pictures of the leading edge installation. Sorry about the resolution - they were taken on a phone. They were hysoled along the front spar (top and bottom) and each cap strip. I did not glue them to the false ribs - allowing these ribs to flex as they do under fabric. I trimmed the bottom to fit just aft of the leading edge and out to the lower cap strip.