PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Airstreaks on Kitfox 5 or 7?

wildirishtime
09-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Anyone have photos they can post of their Kitfox 5/7 equipped with
Airstreak 26" or 29" tires? Curious how both look on that model.

Please post photos guys take care!
~Wild

kitfoxnick
09-04-2011, 04:38 AM
http://kitfoxaircraft.com/images/Gallery/KA%20Gallery%2000017.JPG
This came from the kitfox website

Monocock
09-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Cool! Would they fit on my standard Cleveland wheels? And what do they cost?

kitfoxnick
09-04-2011, 10:10 AM
This is taken right from the ABW website.

Alaskan Bushwheels™ are a unique tire designed for use on light aircraft. These tires are handcrafted onto airbags, have a sidewall valve-stem, and fit standard 6.00 x 6” wheels. The air pressure in bushwheels can be lowered for rough-ground usage and the pilot does not have to worry about tire slippage and stem shearing.
26"x12"x6" - $2110.00/pair + shipping & handling
29"x12"x6" - $2640.00/pair + shipping & handling
http://www.akbushwheel.com/index.php?option=com_rokquickcart&view=rokquickcart&Itemid=58

I think you can go thru the McBeans also.
These tires do not like pavement and wear out rather fast if used on pavement.

wildirishtime
09-04-2011, 01:38 PM
yeayea but the point of my thread request was a 'comparison' set of photos with known tire sizes. For example, the photo you posted we don't know for sure if those are 29's (I think so but i don't want to guess). I'd like to see 26 and 29" Airstreaks mounted on the KF5 or 7 to make the decision for my future. Thanks guys!

War Eagle
09-04-2011, 06:08 PM
This plane is an S7 and part of our group build. I fly along side this plane from time to time and he is using the 29" tires.

wildirishtime
09-04-2011, 08:22 PM
This plane is an S7

What plane? maybe you tried to attach a photo but it didn't come thru please do attach it. thanks much!

rogerh12
09-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I know a guy that has these. He calculated that every landing on a asphalt runway cost him $20 in tire wear !!!!!!

Roger

wildirishtime
09-04-2011, 10:10 PM
He calculated that every landing on a asphalt runway cost him $20 in tire wear !!!!!!Roger

$2000/$20each = 100 landings and they're destroyed? i don't think so....
I know guys with these and they last them forever....

~Wild

Av8r3400
09-05-2011, 05:28 AM
War Eagle was talking about the photo already posted.

The will last a long time if you stay off pavement. If you have friends with these, than you alread know the 'tread' compound is very soft like an automotive racing slick. 100-200 pavement landings concurs with what I have heard also.

rogerh12
09-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Hey, maybe there is a (dare I say it ??) a cheap copy of these tires, maybe something made overseas but still usable on experimental aircraft?
Roger

akflyer
09-05-2011, 09:12 AM
$2000/$20each = 100 landings and they're destroyed? i don't think so....
I know guys with these and they last them forever....

~Wild

I am with Wild.....We get alot more landings than that out of them on alot heavier planes.

Hey, maybe there is a (dare I say it ??) a cheap copy of these tires, maybe something made overseas but still usable on experimental aircraft?
Roger

No one overseas makes a "bushwheel" copy that I have ever seen. If you ever fly a set of these you will understand that you get what you pay for!

Just wondering, you ever work for NASA ?? Going with the cheapest manufacture of rubber products tends to not always work out so well....

jrthomas
09-05-2011, 12:39 PM
I know we've been through this before but just in case some of you missed it, check out HighwingLLC.com. He carries the Nanco 21x12x8 tires at $59 each. My flying buddy has a model 2 with these and is a 100% satisfied customer. He has had "0" problems. They're, obviously not ideal for pavement but they've worked just fine for every pavement landing so far. They sure do smooth out rough grass fields and not so perfect landings. I've got almost 40 landings in this same plane. With the old tires we'd feel every little bump. The best thing about them is the price. Let's see, $118 for Nanco or $2000+ for Airstreaks or 16 pairs of Nanco's or 1 pair of Airstreaks? The truth is most of us would never or could never pay $1000 per tire but $59 wouldn't be such a big deal. It might be fun to get an extra set of wheels for the Nanco's and switch them around as needed. But, on the other hand, if I were landing on mountain tops or gravel bars in remote locations I'd want the very best and the Airstreaks might be justified. The Nanco's are a good option some of you might want to take a closer look at. James Thomas

rogerh12
09-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Just wondering, you ever work for NASA ?? Going with the cheapest manufacture of rubber products tends to not always work out so well....

HEY, those O-rings work just fine !!!!
(as long as they don't get too cold)

Roger

rogerh12
09-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Nanca Comparision?

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z186/NKAWTG/IMG_5686.jpg

Slyfox
09-06-2011, 09:17 AM
I personally am frustrated with my nanca tires, they run oblong. If I let the plane sit in one possision to long, usually more than 2 days. the left tire mainly, will get a memory. My cure right now is to go by the hangar and role the plane back a couple feet and give it a new sitting place. I can see the tires go bump bump and it's not a balance issue. If I don't get off the runway quick the left wheel shakes to all beat HXXX. I'm very disapointed with these tires for this reason. The right tire isn't so bad but has the same problem.

akflyer
09-06-2011, 09:24 AM
we have been running the nanco's for a few years and have not had any of these issues. The king fox tires seem to go flat every week, but the nanco's have been great tires. I run 6-10 PSI in them depending on where I am going. When I take the floats off and go back to wheels, I hope to be putting on a set of 26" BW. more expensive yes, but they will save the truss and landing gear due to the shock absorbtion of these tires. Not to mention, it will get the AOA up there where you can get in and out shorter!

Slyfox
09-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I think I just got a bad set of tires. I know, put on the floats. Yup. I'll start another thread on that one.

Monocock
09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
I would love to put some Nanco's on my Mk 5 but have been told by several people that they are only suitable for Mks 1 - 4 from a weight point of view. Is this correct?

wildirishtime
09-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Can anyone point me to a picture of 26" Airstreaks on a Kitfox 5 or 7?
I was hoping to find more detailed photos of those not the nancos...
photos and info/chatter about them are well covered... Airstreak photos
on Kitfox is a lil more rare.

Thanks,
-Wild

ackselle
01-22-2013, 08:05 PM
My Airstreaks arrived today (29").. I pick up the Grove 6x6 wheels on Saturday. I'll try everything out on Sunday! Wow! Are they ever huge compared to my Nancos.

wannafly
01-23-2013, 11:12 AM
wow that is a huge differance.:D Did you or can you get a weight differance on the two tires? What is the differance in your cruise speed?
thanks

Dorsal
01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Those just have to be fun :D
Serious envy here.

N981MS
01-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Looks like 19 pounds/tire for 26" or 27 Pounds for 29". Not as bad as I thought. Hmmmm.

Here is a link:
Write down the part # from the top of document then scroll to page 10.

http://www.akbushwheel.com/images/stories/akbushwheel_tech_docs/manual_cmmi_080807.pdf

ackselle
01-23-2013, 01:26 PM
They are not 27#s per tire as per the AK Bushwheel site....they are actually quite light. I think they mean 27# per side including the wheels and axles. On Saturday, I plan the complete installation, including new weight and balance. I will post pictures, weights and stats then.

Cheers,
Ackselle

ackselle
01-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Installed!

Total weight gain (vs Nanco tires and rims) - 38 lbs
I couldn't notice any difference in cruise speed...I ussually fly @ 85-95mph, still did.

I had ther tire pressure @ 12 lbs..... to much (very bouncy). I've dropped it to 6lbs for next time.

VERY slippery on the snow!

kitfoxnick
01-27-2013, 04:35 PM
12 lbs is way to bouncy. Off airport I run 2.5 to 3.5 psi. Cross country with a lot of pavement I'll run 7 to 8 psi. I ran nancos for a couple of hundred hours but they don't compare to the airstreaks. Only thing I would have done different was buy 29s instead of the 26s.

AirFox
01-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Kitfoxnick,

I'm just curious why would you get the 29" over the 26". I have 26" in mind when I finish my SS. I have flown a J5 Cub with 29" Airstreaks so I know what that feels like. 26" Airstreaks seem like a pretty good balance?

Thanks

Scott

kitfoxnick
01-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Kitfoxnick,

I'm just curious why would you get the 29" over the 26". I have 26" in mind when I finish my SS. I have flown a J5 Cub with 29" Airstreaks so I know what that feels like. 26" Airstreaks seem like a pretty good balance?

Thanks

Scott

Easy way to increase my AOA. I could fly sooner if I raised my AOA.

cainbird
01-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Hi ackselle,
Im just wondering what size axles you are running? I have a model 4 and it has 3/4" axles. I always wondered if you could get a 6" rim to fit the Airstreaks for a 3/4 axle and if the axles would hold up to the extra strain. Did you change over to a larger axle?

Thanks~Cain B

cap01
01-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Cain, I have the 3/4 axels on my IV and one of the previous owners installed matco wheels and 6.00x6 tires . Spacers are required on the axels to allow use of the matco wheels . It actually made it easier to go back to the atv wheels and the nanco tires once I figured out what had been done since I already had the long axels.
It gets a little confusing trying to sort thru the axels and wheels on the matco site

cainbird
01-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks Cap01, I also run Matco 6" wheels with 700x6 Goodyears. I don't think my Matco wheels are wide enough for the air streaks. I think I would need to buy longer axles and wider wheels. I think my wheels are probibally about 4" wide. I'm thinking I would need 6" wide wheels for streaks.

Cain B

ackselle
01-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Hi ackselle,
Im just wondering what size axles you are running? I have a model 4 and it has 3/4" axles. I always wondered if you could get a 6" rim to fit the Airstreaks for a 3/4 axle and if the axles would hold up to the extra strain. Did you change over to a larger axle?

Thanks~Cain B

I switched to 1 1/4" Grove axles. I called Gail at Grove and she knew all the part numbers I needed, and I had the wheels and hardware within 3 days of order...
She suggested a 6x6 wheel/brake combination not listed on their site but provides heavier duty brakes compared to the "standard" 65-211 set(I beleive it was part # 65-232).

Cheers,
Ackselle

cainbird
01-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks ackselle!

ackselle
02-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Well, today I had a chance to try my new Airstreaks with the "correct" inflation. I had tried 12 lbs for the first set of circuits and found them VERY bouncy. Some advice from the forum suggested anywhere between 2.5 lbs and 6 lbs. So.... I defalted down to 4 lbs. WOW!!! Now I really understand all the hype about the Airstreaks/AK Bushwheels. It's like landing on pillows (although my first few touchdown were a touch sooner than I thought.... that extra few inches makes a big difference). They absorb ALL the little bumps, and they make the landing much quieter as there is very little vibration coming through the frame.

Until now I've been landing on the Nanco 21x12x8" tires. Nice flotation, but they don't begin to offer the additional suspension the Airstreaks give.

I was landing on snow.... and I can now tell you all, the Airstreaks on snow have the same stopping capacity as skis. Think skis when applying the brakes on snow. I really could not tell if the brakes were working, except, when I looked outside, the tire was not turning when I had the brakes applied.

I look forward to summer, sandbars and fields!

Cheers,
Ackselle

kitfoxnick
02-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Well, today I had a chance to try my new Airstreaks with the "correct" inflation. I had tried 12 lbs for the first set of circuits and found them VERY bouncy. Some advice from the forum suggested anywhere between 2.5 lbs and 6 lbs. So.... I defalted down to 4 lbs. WOW!!! Now I really understand all the hype about the Airstreaks/AK Bushwheels. It's like landing on pillows (although my first few touchdown were a touch sooner than I thought.... that extra few inches makes a big difference). They absorb ALL the little bumps, and they make the landing much quieter as there is very little vibration coming through the frame.

Until now I've been landing on the Nanco 21x12x8" tires. Nice flotation, but they don't begin to offer the additional suspension the Airstreaks give.

I was landing on snow.... and I can now tell you all, the Airstreaks on snow have the same stopping capacity as skis. Think skis when applying the brakes on snow. I really could not tell if the brakes were working, except, when I looked outside, the tire was not turning when I had the brakes applied.

I look forward to summer, sandbars and fields!

Cheers,
Ackselle

Glad to here that the lower psi is working out. Please be careful bushwheels are no substitute for skis. There's been more then a couple of planes on their back from bushwheels and some powder.

Av8r3400
02-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Amen to that, Nick. I watched it happen last winter. :(

ackselle
02-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I hear you guys! All I'm saying is the Airstreaks offer zero braking on snow..... Much like skis......but they are tires, and I look forward to using them on sand bars and dried up river beds.

ackselle
02-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Installed my Matco 11" tail wheel today. LOTs of flotation, and about $2000 less than the AK Bushwheel tailwheel.

cainbird
02-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Ackselle,
Let us know how you like your new tailwheel. It looks pretty robust from the pics. Curious to see how you like it!

Cain B

ackselle
02-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Well... I've only had a chance to try the 11" tail wheel on snow and ice... so far, I like how it absorbs the bumps (it's a little quieter), and I like how it does NOT leave much of a track. My 8" left quite a track/rut, even in the hard pack snow.

The 11" tail wheel base it built to fit a 1 3/4" wide tail spring, and there are 2 adapters available from Matco to adapt to fit a 1 1/4" spring. However, I talked with George at Matco, and he suggested I could use my 8" base as it already had the grease fitting to allow for the new vertical axle. So... I de-installed the bases from each of the tailwheels, and installed the 8" tailwheel base on the 11" tailwheel.

As you can see from the picture below, I've experienced significant tailwheel growth over the last couple of years. The original solid wheel on the right, the middle wheel is the 8" pneumatic, and on the left is the new 11" Matco. I'm hoping I'm done now!!!