PDA

View Full Version : patch

SkyDave
08-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Hi am new to fabric aircraft purchased Kitfox 3 with Cenconite 103 and Stits Aero thane whats a good patch or cement for small hole???? thanks

Av8r3400
08-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Aero-Thane is going to make that one a little tougher. Where is the hole located on the plane?

Peteohms
08-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Wouldn't Stewart Systems work here?

Av8r3400
08-26-2011, 07:30 PM
I think I'd stay with Stits (Poly-Fiber) products since that is what is on the plane, rather than mix and matching...

Look in the Poly-Fiber manual, I believe there is a nice bit on repairs in there. (If you don't have one, I'd suggest you should get one.)

Av8r_Sed
08-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Dave,

I went through the official Poly-Fiber procedure which included sanding through the Aerothane in the patch area, removing the coatings, gluing in the patch and restoring all the coatings. The results were good, but it took time and care not to damage the fabric.

I sent you a DM with the detailed procedure I followed.

== Paul S

cap01
08-26-2011, 11:25 PM
for a couple of small tool punch holes ive mixed up some poly tak and poly brush and installed a dollar patch on the inside . called it good and didnt mess with disturbing the paint .

SkyDave
08-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks the hole is on belly ....screwdriver slipped...will try poly tak and brush thats what i buy??

cap01
08-27-2011, 01:47 PM
dave , the closest to you and easiest is spencer aircraft at thun field . or if you want, fly on down to the flying b and ill give you some . if thats all you have to repair , it would be pretty expensive to buy a can of poly brush just for that . poly tak is the adhesive that attaches the fabric to the metal frame , poly brush is the pink stuff you brush and spray on the fabric after its shrunk before the silver .

SkyDave
08-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Chuck thanks its just one small hole and and I have no knowledge of fabric whats your number???? Dave

Dave S
08-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Dave,

This might sound either a bit radical or a bit lazy; or possibly even a bit opportunistic; but, I know of someone who punched a hole in the belly by dropping a phillips screwdriver point first:eek: - glued on a drain hole grommet, cleaned up the center hole with a fine point soldering iron, called it a drain hole and then measured and put in a matching one on the opposite side so it looked like it was planned that way.........

Please don't ask me how I know this.

Dave S
KF7 Trigear

cap01
08-30-2011, 09:50 AM
ya dave s , i think ive got a couple of holes i think my brother-in-law must have punched also .