PDA

View Full Version : North East Fly-In

Dorsal
08-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Chris (CDE2Fly) and I would like to gauge interest in a North East fly in at 4N7 (Greene, just outside of Binghamton NY) in September or October. This could be a one day cook-out or overnight camping if desired (or other local accommodations). If you are interested please reply to this thread and check out the North East Foxes social group where, if there is enough interest, we can find a date and plan the event. Social groups can be found under the Community tab and should be open to anyone.

cainbird
08-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Dorsal, you can count me in. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Cain B

dholly
08-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Grounded now but if I can hustle up a ride I'll join you.

kl2657
08-20-2011, 07:06 AM
I'd be interested as well...

GT280flyer
08-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Sounds like a great time and in my back door yard, almost. Count me in also.

Kitfox lll -Model lV wing under construction.

Dorsal
08-21-2011, 05:18 AM
This is looking promising, Nick, Ken are you in? any of our members from north of the border?

kitfoxnick
08-21-2011, 05:48 AM
I'm in, sounds like a great time and a central location. I'm glad you guys are doing this I have always wanted to have a flapperon fly-in. My strip isn't conducive for a fly-in. The only weekend that has a conflict for me would be 9/30-10/1.

airlina
08-22-2011, 02:51 AM
I've got something going on the last week of Sept. but other than that I'd be in as well . Bruce Lina N199CL

Dorsal
08-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Looks like we are going to target Sep 10/11, more details to follow.

Dorsal
08-27-2011, 05:36 AM
Things are shaping up as we have 8-10 from this group and a couple more from the Matt-list. Chris is going to get some info on local accommodations (in addition to camping) and has suggested a short group flight for breakfast on Sunday. Assuming folks arrive Sat AM we can do a longer group flight in the afternoon or short hops, swap rides and share experiences flying, building and modifying our planes. I will bring both my carb-mate and Dynavibe for anyone who is interested in using them. If you have interesting mods you have done to your plane this is a great time share them in person. Chris has just finished upgrading to a 914 and on a much smaller scale I can show a recently installed autopilot.

CDE2FLY
08-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Some thoughts on activities and logistics....

As Finn mentioned, we'll be gathering at the Greene Airport (4N7) which is 15 miles or so north of Binghamton, NY. There typically isn't much in the way of traffic and the grass runway is in good shape with a couple of lumps/bumps that aren't much of an issue. I'll plan to have lunch (nothing too fancy....hamburgers/hot dogs, chips and drinks) at the airport for those arriving on Saturday the 10th around noon. As the burgers are settling, we can check out some of Finn's new gadgets, scour the airplanes for some cool modification ideas, and of course, talk all things Kitfox.

For an afternoon flight, I'm thinking of wandering down the Susquehanna River to Skyhaven Airport (76N). There is some beautiful scenery and flying low over the river is always fun. Skyhaven is a very active grass roots type airport and we might be able to check out some very high quality antique airplane restoration activity usually in progress.

For those planning to spend the night, there are a couple of good spots in the Village of Greene to grab some dinner. I can provide transportation for 12 of so....we'll get creative if we need more space than that. For overnight lodging, there are plenty of places in Binghamton....again, I can get people where they need to be. For those who want to camp, either the airport or my place are options....I've got plenty of room (and some nice views too ).

For those who stick around until Sunday, I suggest we head over to White Birch Airport (NK68) where they serve breakfast on the field every Sunday from May till October. It's an easy 20 minute flight from Greene.

For those who can't make the full event, I'll provide my cell number so you can check on our whereabouts in case we're out wondering about when you arrive. Also, you don't need an airplane to participate. Feel free to join us if you interested in learning more about building/flying....I'll be happy to fly a few demo flights throughout the weekend.

Let Finn or I know if you plan to stop by so we can make arrangements. Now that Irene is on her way out, we'll be hoping for nothing but blue skys!

series7
08-29-2011, 09:52 AM
If the weather is good we will be coming from Ohio.
Ken Robinson

kl2657
09-01-2011, 06:59 AM
If everything works out from a weather/mechanical/schedule standpoint, I am tenatively planning on flying in on Sat morning, sticking around for lunch and then headed out Sat afternoon.

Lion8
09-01-2011, 05:12 PM
I will be flying the right seat of a friend from So. Delaware. I'm from Southern N.J. Jason with the speedster, I will write you off line to get info so we can meet. - Tom

Dorsal
09-06-2011, 09:50 AM
So the weather is looking promising (limited liquid sunshine), please chime in as your plans firm up so we might know approximately who is arriving when and how many plan to overnight (I will be).

kitfoxnick
09-06-2011, 11:41 AM
My intentions are to come up Saturday with one of my kids. Camp saturday night and leave sunday afternoon. What are the possibilities of making a small camp fire on the corner of the field somewhere?

CDE2FLY
09-06-2011, 05:30 PM
I was thinking of having an evening campfire at my house and you're more than welcome to camp there. We've got 25 acres and have regular camp fires with the kids and their friends. I'm 10 minutes from the airport and glad to transport all interested in that option.

kitfoxnick
09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
That sounds good to me. I'm along for the ride.

Dorsal
09-07-2011, 04:45 PM
CDE are we going to need floats to land at 4N7 after all this rain

CDE2FLY
09-07-2011, 07:24 PM
We just might need those floats! We're getting some SERIOUS flash flooding form all the rain the past few days and it's still raining cats and dogs! All the local schools are closed for tomorrow (and likely Friday) and as of now (10:15 PM Wedensday evening) all roads in the local counties are closed. We're fine as we live on a hilltop but the river valleys are not good. The airport is literally next to the Chenango River but I've never seen the river crest the bank in that area.

I'll scope things out once the roads reopen (hopefully tomorow) and let everyone know what the situation is. The good news is that the runway drains quickly so I'm hoping we'll be operational by Saturday.