PDA

View Full Version : ignition failure

GDN
08-15-2011, 02:07 PM
one of my 2 ignition circuit fails after some moment of flying.
When i test it before flying all is ok. Should be a ignition coil failure. Can i test it differently than inverting them ? Should know that the stator is almost a brand new ( 50 flight hours)
Oups it's a 582 !

Best regards from France

rogerh12
08-18-2011, 02:06 PM
That's why Rotax gave you two !!!!!!!
(I think they got the idea from balls and god)

Roger

GDN
08-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Sure but your answer doesn't really help me to repair the failure ;-)

rogerh12
08-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Ok then, my 582 also had an ignition failure. The cause was all the vibration on the engine, and the plug wires not tied up good. My wires failed at the connector. Coil failures are rare, but the do happen and usually do to heat. Once they fail, they short and burn. If nothing has burned, try just replacing the plug wires, it's a cheap fix.

Roger

HighWing
08-18-2011, 02:47 PM
A little reluctant to respond as all my experience is with the Rotax 912, but.... The 912 engine is somewhat notorious for the cheap wire in the ignition modules. Lots of vibration and lots of broken wires over the years. On a group trip once we repaired a broken wire as someone had a cordless soldering iron and we had a guru along.

The breaks are not readily visible, but can often be detected by stretching the wire. If broken, it will stretch at the point of the break. Another way to test is by using something sharp that can penetrate the insulation like a sewing needle. Use two at opposite ends of the wire and check for continuity. As far as the coils, etc., no experience there.

Lowell

GDN
08-19-2011, 12:16 AM
I found the failure and actually it was the connector that had a false contact and with vibrations i lost the coil. I don't like this automobile like connectors too and will rebuilt the complete wiring as the former owner use the same ground wire origin for each switch so now it's not safety :roll eyes:

Thanks to all for your answers

Best regards from LFET ( DIJON, FRANCE )