PDA

View Full Version : Travel in a Kitfox

bandit
08-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Can anyone tell me if I am being realistic with my plans. I am not a pilot yet, but plan on getting my license this fall. I want to buy a Kitfox and put floats on it, for use mainly short trips to local lakes etc. But I also hope to fly across country from time to time. from say, Seattle to Miami Florida, given reasonable weather conditions , what would be a reasonable timeframe for a flight plan? Some people I talk to say flying across country in a 110 mph plane is unrealistic. Any experienced opinions would be appreciated!

Thank You,
Bandit

bandit
08-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I am asking if it is realistic, some people say it is not! I personally think it is but because I have no experience, I want advice from people like yourself that are or have done this sort of travel! I know it is possible as is driving around North America, although that would be something most people would only want to do once! (opinions will vary of course). It seems like traveling in a Kitfox and seeing North America would be alot of fun but I am not retired and can only tale 5 weeks total per year, in which I would like to do 2-3 long trips per year!

Thanks
Bandit

whitewulfe
08-14-2011, 12:43 AM
One of the forum members did Denver to Alaska, with a really nice writeup on everything: http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=1711

I would say with the proper planning, it would be quite fun and definitely realistic ^_^

Dorsal
08-14-2011, 03:58 AM
Definitely realistic, I have done it twice in a 150 mph plane with next to no storage (varieze). Would do it again in my kitfox which so far has only been as far as Oshkosh. I recommend the book Flight of Passage abou two kids who make the flight in a Cub. If I where planning such a flight today I would allow for 2-4 weeks depending on what I wanted to do along the way.

jdmcbean
08-14-2011, 11:06 AM
I am asking if it is realistic, some people say it is not! I personally think it is but because I have no experience. It seems like traveling in a Kitfox and seeing North America would be alot of fun but I am not retired and can only tale 5 weeks total per year, in which I would like to do 2-3 long trips per year! Thanks
Bandit

Good Morning,
This is an interesting question that arises from time to time and one very important issue to consider is the fact that not all Kitfox's are the same. Would I want to make that trip in a Model 1 or 2 ? Most likely not although it could definately be an adventure. That is what most people that are not in the Kitfox community think a Kitfox is.. From the Model IV on to the current S7SS it is a completely different environment. I know of several later model Kitfox's that have travelled from all over the lower 48 to Point Barrow Alaska....more than once and plan on doing something similar again... There was even one that flew from Madrid, Spain to Oshkosh...
Personally, I have made the trip to Florida, Oshkosh, Arizona, and the Bahamas (from Idaho) in the S7SS with 2 people and baggage. The S7SS is a great travelling machine with room for 2 and their baggage. We have made Oshkosh in 1 day (11 hrs) and Florida in 2 days (17 hrs) although that is not the norm. Oshkosh we plan a minimum of 2 days and look at weather as a day delay and Florida as a 3 day with a day weather delay. These are minimums for us... 2 years ago it took us 5 days to Florida due to weather. This year it was 3 days to Sebring and a day hop (3 hours) to North Eleuthera Bahamas.
The pics are of the baggage to the Bahamas remember to inlcude the life raft (required) and life vests... with me at 6' and Paul at 6'2.

So.. Realistic? Absolutely and alot of fun! If you plan the trips as a vacation there are some great adventures along the way. Try Dolphin island for a lunch stop or Canyon lands for a mini vacation along the way.. or even New Orleans for some great Cajun food. :)

PS: We are looking at another side trip to the Bahamas or Keys early next year. Did I mention we are flying from Southwest Idaho :D

bandit
08-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all your input! Maybe someone can help me out with this ?!
Full fuel 27 gallons x 6.5lbs per =176 lbs
empty weight of Kitfox is =750 lbs
2 180lbs occupants =360 lbs
Total =1286 lbs
This only leaves useful load of =34 lbs
I assume my calculations are flawed, or am I missing something?

Also I plan to operate on floats which, as I understand gives a gross weight of 1430lbs but most amphibs specs I looked at are pushing 200lbs!How much weight do you lose with taking all the conventional landing gear off?

I have decided on purchasing either the Kitfox or the Highlander and as I was planning on ordering a week ago, I am still confused on these calculations! I am hoping on being able to haul 2 mountain bikes with us, but am not sure if either of these planes can accommodate this. I like that the Kitfox has a higher top speed and that it can be registered in a higher gross with upgraded landing gear. This leads me to believe that the Kitfox is built stronger than need be for LSA! I like the storage area in the Highlander as it looks as though you could sleep in it if need be, and stall speed is a bit slower! I plan on going down to Idaho in the next week or 2 so I can see these planes and hopefully get a test flight!
Since you posted here John, is this a possibility?

Thank You,
Bandit

kitfox2009
08-14-2011, 11:53 AM
If you check the specs on the Model V and later KF`s you will find the gross of 1400 or 1550 lbs depending on the model and year. Of course you need at least a PPL to fly either of these.

Cheers
Don

Dorsal
08-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Your calculations seem correct if you are limited to an LSA. I believe the kitfox 7 was designed before the notion of LSA and is typically built for a max gross of 1550 lbs. The plane is a very strong and capable machine which we have packed with camping gear or folding bicycles depending on the mission. I think two mountain bikes may be a bit of a reach:rolleyes:

bandit
08-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Yes I plan to stay in LSA if possible! So in a Kitfox 7 you can load folding bycicles? I havent seen one in real but in pictures it looks like a narrow area to load through above the seats and below the top of fuse!

Thanks
Bandit

Dorsal
08-14-2011, 12:48 PM
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2171&stc=1&d=1301881565

or read the thread
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=719&highlight=folding+bike

And I load them through the removable turtle deck.

bandit
08-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Hey Thanks for the pictures, thats great! Are those folding bikes or just mountain bikes with wheels removed?

bandit

Dorsal
08-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Those are two Dahon Mu folding bikes, 20lbs each.

bandit
08-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks again!

Bandit:)

DanB
08-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Here is a comparison in travel comfort that might interest some...As far as hombuilts go I have flown in an RV-7 (round trip) from Phoenix to OshKosh
and I have made the trip from Phoenix to Boise (round trip) in a Kitfox IV three times. The RV certainly wins as a time machine in speed, but the Kitfox took the comfort prize every time. The design of the seats have been well thought out and designed for the KF.

bandit
08-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Very good to know, that was 1 of my concerns as well!

Thanks
Bandit

kitfox2009
08-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Hello Bandit

We do not have a LSA classification in Canada. Suggest you go to the TC website and review the regulations before going too far.
I thought you were coming down here to at least see what a completed Model V looks like.

Don

bandit
08-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Hi Don,

I was meaning to and of course, it had to be one of those weeks! I am sorry that I didn't get back to you, and will try as soon as I possibly can! I don't usually have a lot of time in the summer and the week I planned on going to Penticton, everything went sideways! I am going to try again next week sometime, and if it still works for you I will give you a call!

Thanks
Brent

bandit
08-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Oh and I know it isn't LSA but is ultralight in Canada, but correct me if I am wrong, it is a similar class?

Thanks
Brent

whitewulfe
08-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Oh and I know it isn't LSA but is ultralight in Canada, but correct me if I am wrong, it is a similar class?

Thanks
Brent

If google/wikipedia is correct, under the "Advanced Ultra-light Aeroplane" category, you're limited to a maximum take-off mass of 1,232lbs, and a minimum useful load of 400lbs (assuming 912ULS 100hp engine) or 390lbs (80hp 912). If I'm reading this correctly, a minimum of a recreational pilot's license is required to fly with a passenger, although I would personally recommend a private pilot's license simply because it allows you to fly internationally.

Using the previously quoted empty weight of 750lbs, the regulations would leave you with 482lbs total to work with, which would only allow 122lbs for baggage and fuel assuming two 180lb adults in the seats.

Given my previous recommendation for the private pilot's license, I'm of the belief one might as well spend the extra $200 for the 1,550lb gross weight landing gear and be able to fully utilize the additional 268lbs of useful load that a gross weight of 1,550lbs provides when compared to AULA operation.

The higher gross weight also allows for people like myself who weight a little more (I think I weigh in around 220lbs or so with typical clothing - joys of higher than average bone density: it seems almost impossible to break a bone, but you weigh more :P )

bandit
08-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Yes u r correct, I had been informed from people that I assumed knew and they told me that Canada was at 1320lbs gross! I just checked the website and it is in fact 1232lbs! Damnit:mad:

Thanks for the tip, as I will probably have to forget about AULA I think!

Brent

HighWing
08-18-2011, 02:17 PM
My son and his family live in St. Augustine, FL and we visit them sometimes three times a year. One of the best trips was the one where we drove, delivering a car. My wife reminds me that it was good because it was only one way. We saw country that we have never seen before and likely will never see again.

I use this as an example of Kitfox flying vs. other means of transportation. If time was no issue. Flying my Model IV would be a no brainer. Low and slow has to be the best way to enjoy the country and meet the people. I think I would Use maybe two full tank legs per day weather permitting and find lodging afternoon and evenings. Better yet, find a buddy that will fly along side - can't beat a group flight.

One of our Arizona pioneers flew all over the country and into Canada in his Safari putting almost a thousand hours on his airplane the first year. With the group I flew with, we sometimes camped, but mostly Hotelled it. Pack light, but with contingencies in mind. I still scan for ultralight camping gear. My tent weighs four pounds and my 20 degree sleeping bag weighs under two lbs. and packs smaller than a football. Use laundromats. It can become fatiguing so there will be ample time on the ground for domestic chores.

Go for it.

(photo of Ray's airplane)

Lowell

desertfox1
08-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the pic, Lowell. I was lucky enough to be Rays wingman
for some of that flying, including the Alaska portion. If you look hard
you can see my Vixen right behind his plane.

Phil

HighWing
08-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Phil,
Your's, a classic. With a nose art highlight.
Lowell

akarmy
08-19-2011, 08:58 AM
So last night I was reading the new Burt Rutan book that EAA put out called Race to Space. The part that caught my attention in relation to long cross country flying was the chapter on Voyager which flew around the world non stop at wait for it, 110mph. So what do we have to complain about? :)

desertfox1
08-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Just checked the Log...2053 hours at 110-120 mph in
Kitfox. Coast to coast, Alaska, Canada..all the places
I've seen and the wonderful people I've met! The fun
I've had with my wingmen, only way to go.

Thank you!

Phil

bandit
08-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Yes this is a challenging decision! I like both planes so much!
Highlander- Cargo area and STOL
Kitfox- Higher speed and still great STOL

Have to decide soon!

Brent:confused:

wannafly
08-21-2011, 01:34 PM
don't forget "support". I can not comment on the Highlander community but I know the Kitfox support is unsurpassed....Always a helping hand just a click away:D

Av8r3400
08-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Most of all, you need to fly both. That will tell you which you like better...

The Highlander is a very nice plane, but I am told it handles much different than a Kitfox, much less sporty on the controls (cables rather than torque tubes on the ailerons for example.).