PDA

View Full Version : Carb Synch

WWhunter
08-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Has anyone tried a DIY carb synch on their 912? I am having problems diagnosing a rough running engine that has not been run in 11+ years. The carbs were cleaned before its first flight after sitting for all those years and while it seems to run fine otherwise I feel a vibration in flight and am thinking a carb synching might help.
Here is a link to what I am refering to: http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp
Thanks,
Keith

kitfox2009
08-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Morning Keith
I have used the two dollar manometer on my 912UL. It works great but is VERY sensitive!!!. I use "Rislone" for the fluid because if it does get sucked into a carb there will be no adverse effect.
I have since bought a Carb-Mate but the result is the same for either unit.
Have fun.
Don

WWhunter
08-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks Don! I'm going to give it a try. Main reason is to save money and the fact that I live 30 miles from town and I highly doubt any place in the town would have one. Ordering can take a while til it gets here so I would like to get the carbs done so I can make a fly-in tomorrow. :)
Keith

TGio
08-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Hi Kieth,
To sync dual carbs all you need is a dual manifold pressure gauge from a twin engine aircraft. As long as the needles point to the same value on the gauge face, the vacuum pulled by your carbs will be sync'd.
Thomas

catz631
08-17-2011, 04:41 AM
Kieth,
I use the "Twin Max" to sync my carbs. This unit came out before the Carb Mate and is used on BMW motorcles.It's very easy to use and I got it on EBAY at a very good price. I have been using it to sync my carbs for a couple of years now. If you combine this with the "throttle link" from Highwing LLC you could sync your carbs in about one minute.
Dick

kitfoxnick
08-21-2011, 06:38 AM
I just use a set of vacuum gauges used for refrigeration installed two valves to dampen the needle movement. The rotax owner site has a great video on carb sync if you've never done it before.