PDA

View Full Version : dribbling 912ul

egp8111
08-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I have a 912ul that has been sitting up for a few years. The problem is when I turn on the electic fuel pump, gas runs out of both carb vents tubes. Obviously something is gummed up somewhere in the carbs.. Any suggestions on where to start troble shooting this ?

thanks
EG

kmach
08-07-2011, 08:42 PM
I would take the carbs off and clean them thoroughly with carb cleaner , the fuel is most likely overflowing because the float needle valve that regulates fuel into the float bowl is dirty, gummed up . it opens and closes as the floats rise and lower. or possibly the floats are stuck , gummed up. Cleaning would be a start.

Av8r_Sed
08-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Also, when you're checking out the carbs, make sure the floats are in good shape. See this post: http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2683&highlight=bing+carb+float&nojs=1#usercptools

DesertFox4
08-07-2011, 09:44 PM
The problem is when I turn on the electic fuel pumpI'm wondering if you are overpowering the bing carbs with too strong of an electric fuel pump. Not sure why you are using it when normal operations would not require a boost pump assuming your 912 is on a Kitfox and the 912 mechanical fuel pump is operating. If you have too high a pressure from the electric pump the carbs will flood. I have a back up electric pump on my model 4 , 912S equipped Kitfox. It is a 2-4 psi facet pump. So far(eight years) it has been two pounds of useless weight but you never know.;) Check to see what psi your electric fuel pump is rated at.

akflyer
08-11-2011, 12:36 PM
I had a fuel filter start plugging up inflight.. My fuel flow dropped from 7.2 GPH on take off to around 5 GPH when I was climbing out. I hit the elctric back up and the flow came right back to 7.2. Where I was at the time it would not have been good had I not been able to hit that back up pump to keep the flow going strong. That being said, it was the only time I have needed it while inflight, but it sure was nice to have it when I needed it.