PDA

View Full Version : HighWing LLC Bush Gear

Spook712
07-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Hey everybody,

I'm thinking about exchanging my gear wit a Spring Gear or Bush gear.

By prefference would be the Spring Strut Cabane Style Landing Gear from HighWing. Has nayone experience with that one or is it better to go with the Bush Gear from McBeans ??

Help is appreciated....

Thanx
TUNA

cap01
07-16-2011, 05:23 PM
dont think you could go wrong with either . there is a model IV in our area that has the highwing gear and he is extremly happy with it . if i didnt have the grove i would surely have that gear on mine. maybe next winter ill put it on anyway .

Av8r3400
07-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Airdale (http://www.airdale.com/) = Option #3. Half the cost.

Spook712
07-17-2011, 12:33 AM
dont think you could go wrong with either . there is a model IV in our area that has the highwing gear and he is extremly happy with it...

Hey thanks for the answer :-)

Do you know who in my area has the High Wing Gear, maybe I can contact him directly and talk to him.

jdmcbean
07-17-2011, 09:23 AM
The Aluminum Spring gear is tough to beat for durability... Our Bush Gear - Cabane Style Gear uses bolt on axles shich allows for easier alignment and flexibilty in wheel options if you have Matco, Grove, Cleveland or the older ATV style wheels.

Spook712
07-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Hey John, thank you for the reply.

But what is the message? Is the one you provide better, more durable.

I like the look of the cabane style better than the groove gear.
Can I use my old axle,wheels and brakes with the one you are selling.

Otherwise it's just a matter of cost I guess...so far I have no preferences.

Cheers from Germany

Marc

Spook712
07-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I have the original gear with these wheels and matco brakes.
( I hope it can be seen on the pic)

Av8r3400
07-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Spook - Your parts will all bolt onto the gear sold by Highwing or Airdale.

The Kitfox variety uses a bolt on (grove style) axle, per John's description, and would require additional new parts for your plane to be refitted with their gear.

Here's a couple of photos of my friend's Avid/Kitfox hybrid he's building with the Airdale gear installed. Note the use, in this application, of the non-standard 1-1/4" pressed in axles, Cleveland wheels and brakes:

catz631
07-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Tuna, Here are some previously posted pictures of my conversion to the Highwing bush gear.. The thin aluminum fairings on the gear add a nice look also. It was a weekend job and I am using the original Douglas wheels,brakes,axles,etc. The total weight for the conversion was a few pounds lighter than the original gear. (I weighed all the installed and removed parts).
Either way you go, it's a dramatic improvement over the stock gear !
Dick

jdmcbean
07-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Hey John, thank you for the reply.

But what is the message? Is the one you provide better, more durable....

Marc

Marc,
The aluminum gear is a little heavier but is definately more durable. It will yeild rather than break. We tested our cabane style gear to FAR part 23. As for the axles... We can build the gear so you can use your existing axles but choose to offer it for bolt on axles so you can simply shim for alignment and you can easily change wheel and axles at a later date if ever desired. We have had many change from the older ATV wheels to the Grove Wheels and they use different axles. Matco also offers a variety of different wheels that would use different axles.

If you prefer the look of the cabane gear.. go for it. It is solid and durable.
Look forward to hearing from you.

FoxDB
07-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Tuna,
I would agree with John on the Aluminum Gear Durability advantage, at least when it comes to vertical drop. However it is my opinion it may not take as much horizontal force (mainly fuselage attachment)(But then you may be upside down before it breaks). I designed and built my our Landing Gear that is similar to the Highwing LLC, Kitfox Bush and Airdale Landing gear and performed my own drop test and found the maximum drop I could safely attain was 5.5 - 6.0 inches without fully compressing the Die Spring. The 3/4" axles are the week point. My calculations showed I could bend the axles at 4" drop but was happy to find they did not bend (may have been stronger than min. yield for normalized condition and geometry changes are hard to analyze with tire contact. The gear does have a Super Cub/Waco Look though. Here is a link to my Drop Test if your interested. You should notice the tires did not provide any cushioning in the test.
Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvQtKQ5gHVY

oldfox
07-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Hey guys looking to do the same to my Model 1 after doing a ground loop or close to it. I would like to know how to check the camber of the wheels ??? when I roll the plane forward and check the distance between the wheels and roll it back I have a 3" change in distance ?? looks like too much of postive camber. Oh by the way can not even think of putting plane on two wheels without doing some offroading.:confused::confused::confused::confused :

FoxDB
07-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Oldfox,
It sounds like you have a "toe in" or "toe out" problem. Camber should be about 2-3 degrees (bottom of tires closer to each other than top) with empty aircraft. The toe should be checked at positions across the front and across the back of the tires inline with the axle and equal distance from the fuselage down (not equal distance from the ground on taildraggers as the camber will effect this measurement).
Dave

FoxDB
07-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Oldfox,
After re-reading your post it does sound like toe-in as rolling the plane forward with toe-in would drive the tires together and vise versa when rolling backward. It is very difficult to take off and land with that condition as you know the wheel with the more weight will decide the direction you will go and a quick change of weight can dramatically change your direction. There has been discussion in the past on how to correct the condition including bending the axles. I would prefer bending the gear slightly. You would do this with a long pipe attached so it does not just bend the axle.
Dave

oldfox
07-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks Dave I will try this on the old gear and see if it helps. I planed on replacing the gear anyway with the LLC bush gear but need to save some money first. Again were do you take the messurements from to set the gear ??? or process when building new ??

GDN
12-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Tuna, Here are some previously posted pictures of my conversion to the Highwing bush gear.. The thin aluminum fairings on the gear add a nice look also. It was a weekend job and I am using the original Douglas wheels,brakes,axles,etc. The total weight for the conversion was a few pounds lighter than the original gear. (I weighed all the installed and removed parts).
Either way you go, it's a dramatic improvement over the stock gear !
Dick

Just one question bought the same and yesterday put in place just to see and it is not fitting perfectly i will have tu push strongly to put one bolt.

Put the same tires too, does your angle of attack kept the same as the tires are higher but the landing gear seem lower ? Did you keep the original 5" tail wheel ?

catz631
12-23-2011, 08:35 AM
As I recall, I too had a problem with one bolt and had to grind a very tiny part of the gear bracket to get a nice fit. It was not a problem though.
The gear made the nose of the aircraft sit a little higher on the ground and it was a little more reach during the "burping process". The angle of attack is a little higher (which is fine) You will notice it when you sit in the aircraft but rapidly get used to it.
I now use a 6 inch Matco pnuematic tailwheel. BUT this was not a result of the gear mod. I have just been playing around with tailwheels to find one that manuevers well on grass. I originally stayed with the 5 inch Maule after going to the bush gear and it worked just fine except it was a little worn from previous use and tight turning on grass was a bit of a pain.
The Matco is a little better but not much. It is much quiter though. It doesn't resonate thru the fuselage as the Maule did. You can feel the cushion effect of the air in the tire.
Hope this helps.
Dick

GDN
12-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Thank you for the quick answer will see when my recovering will be finished.

Merry Christmas to all the Kitfox owners !

oldfox
12-23-2011, 10:58 AM
No I did not change the tail wheel and had no problem with it.

cainbird
02-17-2013, 07:37 PM
4391I just installed the Highwing gear on my model 4 and couldn't be happier. What a great improvement over the stock gear!4389

cainbird
02-17-2013, 07:40 PM
439[attach]4392

cainbird
02-17-2013, 07:41 PM
There we go! its been a while since I have uploaded pics.

DanB
02-18-2013, 06:33 AM
Very Nice Cainbird!

nolimitznorm
03-27-2018, 10:05 PM
Does anyone have contact information for Highwing LLC? Can’t find them on the web. I’m looking for a set of Bush gear for my Kitfox 1

Peter_SE
03-27-2020, 10:56 PM
Where you able to buy the gear from high wing?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

HighWing
03-30-2020, 10:30 AM
A note on the HighWing LLC Cabane Landing Gear.

The bankruptcy of Skystar prompted the formation of HighWing LLC. The main objective was to provide parts to the existing fleet to keep our buddies flying. Wing Ribs and Mass Balance Weights for the ground loop guys - those sorts of things. Then we had an idea to maybe help the ground loop guys in another way as well by designing and offering a cabane style landing gear that was precisely aligned and that also eliminated the regular replacement of the bungee cords. Along with the alignment, the original goals were three - The alignment, a wider stance for more stability and a couple inches taller for an enhanced angle of attack for a bit quicker lift off. Back then, we did not anticipate the more recent “Bush” flying phenomenon initiated by the numerous adventure videos, and have never referred to our gear as “Bush Gear”. HighWing LLC closed its business several years ago.